Fixing Noisy Playing

GodBlessTexas

I'm getting really frustrated lately with my playing. When I play high gain stuff, even with my noise suppressor, I'm hearing lots of noise when I play. I'm not talking about hiss either. For instance, last night I was running through some legato exercises and getting my speed up playing scales and modes, and I could hear strings vibrating that I wasn't playing on. I'm assuming this is a technique issue, but I have no idea how to fix this. Any tips on how to fix this?

When I play clean, you don't hear any of this stuff at all. I'm just at a loss.

On edit: could this be caused by the trem springs? Someone mentioned to me once that he used foam in the trem cavity behind the springs to stop them from making noise.

Edited by GodBlessTexas

It is an entirely different playing style when playing high gain.When I play at the extremely high gain settings I use,I am always muting the strings i don't use with one hand or the other.After years and years and years,it just happens naturally and I never notice until someone else plays my rig and wants to know how I play with that much gain.

It sounds like it's just a case of muting the unplayed strings. It becomes second nature (pretty much everything I play is hi-gain)

I tried foam in the trem springs after reading a tip on this forum, but found that everything went ever so slightly flat afterwards - because the foam was getting 'pinched' between coils and not allowing the trem to return exactly to it's original position !

ahhh that might be why the trem on my ibanez isnt working properly :/

how can i mute the springs without stopping the trem working properly?

• 2 weeks later...