Newbie from Germany taking a plunge

Hi folks,

I thought I'd introduce myself before I jump right in and start offending people by being impolite.

My name is Andreas, I'm a 23 year old student of computer and communications engineering in south west Germany. I've been making music for the better part of my life, starting on keys at age 6, moving to guitar at 13 and taking a couple years of drum lessons along the way. Oh, and I also sing ;-)

I currently own the following guitars and related gear:

- Raimundo classical guitar, the one I learned my first chords on, the original sin

- Yamaha APX-7A spruce top steelstring acoustic

- A strat copy handcrafted in Poland, it says LANG on the Headstock, but he's not related to the New Zealand based Lang Guitars. My first electric guitar. Modified with a bridge humbucker in 1998

- My current main axe: Esp Custom Strat with OBL singlecoils and OBL Humbucker in the bridge position, ESP Floyd Rose licensed tremolo, pink custom graphics finish.

- Hughes&Kettner ZenTera digital modeling ampflifier

I'll post pictures if requested.

I've been thinking about building my own guitar(s) for quite some time now and coming across this site really made me go "man, if there are so many resources on guitarbuilding and so many guys get great results out of it, I should really try it". So currently I've been getting some parts off of ebay to experiment with (cheap bodies, hardware, still no necks, they're expensive as hell) and some literature to go with it. One major problem is that I don't have access to most of the wood resources that I've found on the net, because they're mostly overseas, but I know some woodworkers and I'm almost positive that I can get what I need at reasonable prices.

I believe that I've found the ideal starting point and I hope I'll be able to contibute one thing or another along the way, too

so long

ace

I hope so ;-)

well, what I initially wanted to write in that post but forgot along the typing was that the main problem I think I'm going to have is that you guys have brand names that might not be as widely available in the old world I reckon, so any recommendatioins from European members would be appreciated (glue, finish lacquers, stuff like that). I'm not sure as to the percentage of European (or even German) users on the board, but once I have more of an overview I think it would be not too bad of an idea to start a thread about European brand names and suppliers...we will see

so long

ace

I hope so ;-)

well, what I initially wanted to write in that post but forgot along the typing was that the main problem I think I'm going to have is that you guys have brand names that might not be as widely available in the old world I reckon, so any recommendatioins from European members would be appreciated (glue, finish lacquers, stuff like that). I'm not sure as to the percentage of European (or even German) users on the board, but once I have more of an overview I think it would be not too bad of an idea to start a thread about European brand names and suppliers...we will see

so long

ace

Even though I have a German/Swiss name, I'm in the States. Alex VDL would be a good person to ask about brands available on the contenant.

I hope so ;-)

so long

ace

Even though I have a German/Swiss name, I'm in the States. Alex VDL would be a good person to ask about brands available on the contenant.

yup, coen(tsl602000) might be able to tell you some good places as well.