Something Ive Been Working On...

Ok, i was approached by a guy in 2005. He had won some design competition for a new guitar he built. I think the prize was $10,000. I dunno, i forget. Anyway, he used that cash to further develop the idea. Went through at least two other "luthiers" whilst getting necks made, etc etc. Really really shocking workmanship from those guys. The guy had managed to find some cashed up investor who is real keen on the project, AND has some great contacts. Thats all cool.

So, i built a neck for him, and slightly helped out with some ideas and opinions. The neck i built was to suit 24 frets on an accoustic. Yup, wont work in the conventional type, but this is a full custom...

Got a call last week... the neck needed to be finished within three days, because the guitar is being sent to the USA with the investor. Its been booked in to be played by a couple "names" (sorry, not my place to say who). Problem was, they wanted to use the third body they made (chrome boy), with the new neck, which was designed to suit a fender neck joint and redesigned body, and wouldnt fit the older body... damn. The neck joint on the chrome boy was to suit 20 frets i think, and was about 40mm deep (rather than the 20ish of the fender style). Because the latest neck design had been specified at 24 frets, this meant the actual neck joint location (eg: the bolts) would be where the neck is rounded (shaped). DOUBLE DAMN! Too make matters even worse, the neck joint in the body was not wide enough for the desired string spacing at the saddle and nut... TRIPLE BOOGIE DOUBLE DAMN!

So, i figured you guys might want to see the final "fix up". In the end, i like it. But now im worried they will want MORE necks done like this...

Basically, the neck joint had to be moved to the area of the neck that was already shaped. So i made a jig, and routed two sections for the maple, and one section for the walnut. I figured if we are adding pieces in, they may as well stand out! The black line is ebony veneer. The neck is african mahogany. Fretboard indian rosewood. The maple sides are recessed to suit the curve on the top of the body (neck is wider than the neck joint)

vaustin2.jpg

http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/images/other/vaustin1.jpg

http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/images/other/vaustin3.jpg

You have no idea how bad you just screwed yourself! Everyone that sees that heel/neck joint is gonna want it on their guitars. Better jack up the price on that option, lol. That does look amazing though, I'm a sucker for that ebony veneer line, been trying to find some for myself. Nice stuff Perry, good luck! J

It actually only took an hour or so to do. Maybe two hours. I thought it was a cool solution to a major problem :D

Yeah, considering it was you that did this, I didn't think it took you too long, though I can imagine it might be a pain if everyone wanted this "look", funny how a quick fix can be a new design trend sometimes. As a solution, it's genius and looks good, but then again what have you come up with that isn't. I still can't get over how cool it looks and how well it worked. I wonder how doing something similar in an asymetrical heel/neck joint would look? Good stuff!

Body is some sort of composite. Actually i think the chrome one is fibreglass, but they are now carbon fibre etc etc. This is an old prototype, the newer ones are slightly different. All i am responsible for is the neck, and some ideas for the neck joint, bridge area, etc for future builds.