My New Guitar, What Do You Think?

Here is the new guitar i made, its my first guitar and i made it from scratch. It has a bloodwood top, an alder back, and bloodwood for the neck and head, as well as a walnut fretboard. It surprisingly has an awesome tone to it. there is still some finishing on the head and neck left to be done in this picture. The guitar has a 24 3/4" fretscale with Stewmac mdium-high frets, there are 22 frets. Most of the hardware came from an old ibanez except the tailpiece.

Front.jpg

http://robd.homelinux.net:4000/~levi/Angle.jpg

http://robd.homelinux.net:4000/~levi/Bodyclose.jpg

http://robd.homelinux.net:4000/~levi/me1.jpg

So, what do you think for a first effort?

It took me about 5 months to build it, and its my first guitar, other than a saga les paul kit. Thanks to the resources here on project guitar

EDIT: I added some more pictures :D

Edited by Maiden69
And I took them away, only one per post, forum rules

For a first effort, looks great! You might want to upload a smaller version of the pic, though... that's huge!

The finish SEEMS to be nice enough, from the pic, and you made creative use of some nice warm-toned woods there.

Purely meant constructively:

- As I'm sure other people will mention, the body shape will be very uncomfortable for seated playing, but it wouldn't be the only guitar in the world with that characteristic.

- The strings don't seem spaced out on the neck quite right-- the low E is too far in from the edge of the fretboard (and doesn't run parallel to it), and the high I is too close to the edge.

- string angle from nut to tuners is creating issues particularly on the three treble-side tuning posts

- you forgot to put your truss rod cover back on before taking the pic!

- More pics, from different angles!! We love pics here. :D

Greg

surprisingly yes it is comfortable to play, the neck is thinner farther down, but thicker near the head but it suits how i hold the guitar so it works :D

Interesting. I've never seen a guitar with a neck fatter near the headstock... but that's the point of a custom guitar! :D

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the neck thickness. That's gotta make it top-heavy, no? How's it balance?

I gotta say that I really like the design, the violin-esque silhouette and how the middle part is actually raised up from the body of the guitar. It must have a really warm tone to it, but I'm glad you like it!

I've got that same strap, too :D

More pics! It came out really nice!

I really like your guitar, great original shape, the spindle shape rise on the body really suits the hardware especially the tailpiece. Greg and Xanthus are right, more pics needed. But what happened to the old Ibanez that was used as a source of parts ?:D

Edited by Muzz

I think you did an awesome job and you have many more guitars in your future. I like the design very unique this is a good thing. Originality counts in my book and the use of one of my favorite woods( blood wood )nice my friend. Keep marking guitars they will just get better and better as you make more. Well done!!!!!!!!!! :D

Mike :D