Shockingly Poor Lp Copy Rebuild.

Can you help me guys... I've been looking at wires and wiring diagrams for an hour now and i'm beginning to get confused :D...

Is it possible to have a 6 terminal On/On switch perform the following function:

In one position the whole Quad rail Humbucker is powered and working.

In the other position Only the bottom two rails are on.

or do I need an On/Off switch? argh... wires... why do they head my make hurt so much :D

Edited by retro_10s

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone make and sell P90 soapbar surrounds that are essentially modified std Humbucker surrounds?

I've cut the guitar for the Soapbar and it fits... but now i want to fill the gaps at the top and bottom...... easiest solution is to cover them over with some sort of hybrid surround unless there's something already on the market?

Here's a pic of what i mean:

P90NEEDSACOVER.jpg

Some companies(the only two I'm certain of are kent armstrong and seymour duncan) make p90's that are shaped like humbuckers. I don't know of any mounting rings meant for p90's in humbucker holes though, that's pretty specialized. On another note, gibson used to make humbuckers that fit in a p90 cover. I remember seeing some on some old gold tops.

Aha.... I see what you mean, I'd never thought of it that way, yes it does have four rails doesn't it... Personally I'd quite like to be able to Have a coil split switch that Will leave me with the bottom two rails on... like a single coil on the bridge, But becuase there are two rails... would this act like a bucker in the space of a single?... confused! :D

Yes, exactly. You're still down to a humbucker, not a single-coil. B) By "splitting" the quad-rails/motherbucker, you reduce it down to the equivalent of something like a Hot Rails.

I haven't measured the Bucker myself but those are the specs it came with... I think I'll get my multimeter out later and explore. As long as it's loud :D what DC resistance should I be looking at getting? what does a high readout mean?

If you had all for coils in series (which would be typical), you could have ended up with that high resistance. It's just the way you described reading all the coloured wires, it didn't seem like it was all put into series. In any event, a high DC resistance is often indicative of high output. You generally lose some of your high end clarity as a sacrifice.

Cool,.... Ok so... the final spec will be the Quad rail on the bridge with a Tap to turn it into a Normal humbucker. (i figure If i need lead parts this will be great as It will give me back some high end clarity... but for rhythm and shredding... well... turn that Quad on!) and P90 in the neck...

Not so sure about this P90 now... I liked the way it looked against the guitar..but now with those gaps it looks crappy! if I can find a way of Covering those gaps I'll stick with it. Hmm not sure. I do have some scratchplate material: I could butcher up a std H/bucker surround and glue some other pieces in the filler it and paint it up gloss black...

Damn...I knew I should have checked this thread earlier....

No, there are no pickup rings that will suspend a P90 in a humbucker rout. Just look at the thing, do you see any ears sticking out the sides like a humbucker?

There are humbucker-sized P90s that go in a regular humbucker ring, Gibson's P94s are one example.

No, there are no pickup rings that will suspend a P90 in a humbucker rout. Just look at the thing, do you see any ears sticking out the sides like a humbucker?

:D Yes I'm well aware that the customary 'Dog ear' type P90 Mounting wouldn't suffice and I'm also able to see that the P-90 will not mount in the Humbucker Ring.

Probably due to my posting you've misunderstood what i'm trying to do B)

I'm not trying to 'mount' the P90 using the Humbucker ring i.e. screwing it down with the two spring loaded adjusters. I'm simply trying to cover up the gaps I showed on an earlier picture using a 'dummy' ring made from a basterdised Humbucker ring;)

In any case... all this is now immaterial... In the time it's taken form my last post on here till this one i've built a dummmy ring out of scratchplate material and I'm VERY pleased with it. I'd go as far to say I think it even looks like it's meant to be there :D

sorry about the crappy lo-res pics... in a rush to pack everything away now.

surround made:

P90SURROUND.jpg

Surround fitted:

P90SURROUNDFITTED.jpg

Yep, with you on that one, the single coil looks good in that frame, neat mod. Mike, I am thinking that neck pup is going to sound warm and chunky, have you plugged it in yet?

Cheers, I know it's just a piece of plastic but hey... it's little things like this that give you the feel of accomplishment, and fiddly things like this are great when they work! Regarding the P90 yes I believe it should be quite a Warm and chunky sound, I'm hoping with a bit of Tone control I can get quite a woody tone from it, But yes, the reason I wanted a P90 on the neck is for that 'wall of sound and probably mud too :D '

If it answers any of your questions, GuitarFetish makes a P90 in the shape of a humbucker.

They name it the Mean-90 i think

Cheers for the info matey. However I love the look of the soapbar P90 on an LP... which is why i went to the length of getting it to fit and building a surround for it.

Ooooh more new bits:

6 terminal DPDT switch for the above circuit and some Proper Wilkinson Waxed cloth insulated wire, Yellow for Live, Black for earth.

SWITCHANDWIRE.jpg

Also started the new Wiring loom today but need to Get another two pots before I can really get something resembling a Guitar Circuit.

**Edit, have just ordered Two new Alpha audio 500k Pots, The two new ones I wired up today were also Alpha Audio, I like to use matching Pots, think it's looks better too.

Edited by retro_10s

That thing's starting to look really good!

thanks guys! yeah i'm happy with it too, still has the look sof a soapbar thanks to the cover being unobtrusive.

That thing's starting to look really good!

Thanks, i like it too, and it's a good learning curve with the wiring lol. It used to be a 'thing'... now i'm trying to make it a 'wild thing' (see what i did there) <ahem>... i'll get me coat.

can anyone help confirm the wiring diagram above as workable?

Edited by retro_10s

Well... the elctronics section have come up trumps and 'approved' my circuit for the Quad rail H/bucker with a coil cut switch...

So... all I wait for now is monday, which is when my Extra two pots arrive and then I can get circuit building properly! The Wilkinson 'waxed cloth insulated' hook-up wire is really nice, has a lovely finish to it and should look like a pro job when it's all installed!

Have a few ideas going round my head for a paint job.. though it's the very bottom of the list,.. I think I might go for the aged look and have a go at retro-ing my LP. Hmmm. If not... I'll go for a nice 2k respray at an auto place.

Quick update, unfortunatley it's a bit of let down. I recieved a nice little padded envelope through the post today, It was 500k pots that i needed, these were the only parts i needed so that I could wire up the new loom in one foul swoop today,..

however, I opened the envelope and a little bag of golden screws appeared instead. Along with the order from that clearly stated in capitals ''2x 500k alpha audio pots''

Grrrrr, anyway, sent an e-mail and hopefully will have it sorted soon enough.

www.axesrus.com absolutely fantastic company, i've used them lots in the past and think they're great, lots of useful parts, NOS etc etc.

They're in UK and offer free postage on everything in the UK B) It' run by a husband and wife Tony and Jacky.

I got an Email from Tony apoligising and Very nice phone call from Jacky as mentioned above within 5 mins of mailing them initially. all sorted now. If that aint customer service... then what is :D :D

Edited by retro_10s