Interesting Figured Wood

Well, none of the above.

I think this was a tuff one(at least the first pic). I asked the same question on another forum, and sure enough Larry Davis(Gallery Hardwoods) nailed it right off the bat. Of course it would be pretty hard to fool him.

I will let a few other take a shot, and let you know what it is a bit later.

A little clue. It is a very hard and dense wood, and both of those pics are bone dry(not wet, shellaced, or altered in any way).

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

The first one really looks like some sepele I've seen, but that would probably be much too easy, so my guess is lychee.

The second one my guess will be equally as random and go with Goncalo Alves.

Either way those are some great pieces of lumber, any plans for the yet?

The first one really looks like some sepele I've seen, but that would probably be much too easy, so my guess is lychee.

The second one my guess will be equally as random and go with Goncalo Alves.

Either way those are some great pieces of lumber, any plans for the yet?

Hot Dog! We have a winner. Actually they are both Goncalo Alves :D . The Bottom picture is probably more a more common look and figure for GA.

Peace,Rich

Those are some great looking pieces for sure. Honestly I would have never guessed that first one for goncalo alves, really an interesting piece of it for sure. The second pic I was somewhat sure it was goncalo, after looking through a couple of my bookmarked pages, it was the only one that I could see having those black streaks, even though they seemed much more thin and distinct than I'd even seen them before(figured it might just be an excellent cut), plus I haven't seen barely any goncalo with figure. From the pic it looks a little curly, could be wrong on that. I haven't seen a whole lot of goncalo, but from what I have seen only a tiny percent had any figure at all. Koa had crossed my mind, but I believe that one had already been eliminated.

Quick question Rich, I saw some wood at rockler the other day that looked very very similar to black limba, even had a small spot of orange which is sometimes seen in b.limba. Do you know of other names used for that wood outside of limbas and korinas? I believe it started with H and was name that was tough to pronounce and it wasn't the scientific name for any of the limbas. I will call and get the name for you maybe tomorrow, I was just curious if you knew off hand. I have looked around a bit and haven't found any answers. Thanks J

Those are some great looking pieces for sure. Honestly I would have never guessed that first one for goncalo alves, really an interesting piece of it for sure. The second pic I was somewhat sure it was goncalo, after looking through a couple of my bookmarked pages, it was the only one that I could see having those black streaks, even though they seemed much more thin and distinct than I'd even seen them before(figured it might just be an excellent cut), plus I haven't seen barely any goncalo with figure. From the pic it looks a little curly, could be wrong on that. I haven't seen a whole lot of goncalo, but from what I have seen only a tiny percent had any figure at all. Koa had crossed my mind, but I believe that one had already been eliminated.

Quick question Rich, I saw some wood at rockler the other day that looked very very similar to black limba, even had a small spot of orange which is sometimes seen in b.limba. Do you know of other names used for that wood outside of limbas and korinas? I believe it started with H and was name that was tough to pronounce and it wasn't the scientific name for any of the limbas. I will call and get the name for you maybe tomorrow, I was just curious if you knew off hand. I have looked around a bit and haven't found any answers. Thanks J

Afara is another name it goes by(Terminalia superba, Black Limba, White Limba, Korina). Gilmer's site has "Frake" listed as a common name, but I have never heard that before.

Wikipedia say;

Kingdom: Plantae

Division: Magnoliophyta

Class: Magnoliopsida

Order: Myrtales

Family: Combretaceae

Genus: Terminalia

Species: T. superba

Peace,Rich

Afara is another name it goes by(Terminalia superba, Black Limba, White Limba, Korina). Gilmer's site has "Frake" listed as a common name, but I have never heard that before.

Wikipedia say;

Kingdom: Plantae

Division: Magnoliophyta

Class: Magnoliopsida

Order: Myrtales

Family: Combretaceae

Genus: Terminalia

Species: T. superba

Peace,Rich

Thanks Rich. I will have to get some pics if I can and the name to show because if it not actually limba then it could be an excellent replacement if limba is hard to find, the actual physical properties I'll find out next times I go. Thanks for those scientific names, although that was the first thing I checked, figuring that was the name I saw at Rockler (my post might have been confusing). I'm actually somewhat surprised that the wood I saw isn't b.limba, it looked identical down to a small orange spot/streak in one of the planks. Thanks again for the help and hopefully I'll get back out there soon and get the name and some pics to share. If it's qualities are equal in any way, it might make a good alternative in the absence of limba or heck if the figure it better better choice period, I'll have to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Rich,

I got some pics from Rockler on those woods I was talking about. These pieces are as good as the ones I had seen and don't closely resemble b.limba as I thought, but I believe would have a simialr effect and look pretty cool to me. There are actually two kinds one that is much more red and has those orange areas that b.limba sometimes has and then the other one. There was only was fair piece of the redish one. The guy there said he has never seen either of these woods nor heard of them and he was somewhat knowledgable all around, though I know many here know a lot about different woods. The first one that reminded me of b.limba the most was called Yacushapana. Here is a link to some info, but no pics in this Yacushapana site. The second wood which is the small reddish piece was called something like Huangana and in searching I found this page Huangana page. It says that it is actually a nickname for Brazilian Walnut, which is quite interesting. Again, these pics I have are of only fair pieces, there were better ones there before. Anyhow, I actually find both of them to be interesting enough to try using,especially one might actually be a type of walnut and the other reminds a little of limba.

Yacushapana

Yacushapana1

Yacushapana2

Yacushapana3

Bad shot of little piece of Huangana

Bit better shot of Huangana(small piece)