Second Guitar

Thought I'd post a few pics of my second project. Things went much better than the first one, can't learn from your mistakes if you don't make 'em B) First attempt at making a neck, set neck with a neck angle, splitting pickups...

Specs:

2-piece mahogany body

mahogany neck with pre-slotted rosewood fretboard

grover mini locking tuners

dunlop straploks

epi pickups and other no-name hardware from a slammer explorer

chrome knobs with push-pull pots (vol=high pass filter, tone=coil tap) wiring same as Joe Satriani's Ibanez models

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x289/an...nt=DSC01018.jpg

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x289/an...nt=DSC01015.jpg

:D :D

Not to piss on the parade, but simply some points I would have done different.ly

- I would have moved the brigde pup a little closer to the neck. It seems too close to the bridge for my liking.

- I would have extended the carve on the lower horn all the way to the neck. Simply looks better IMHO.

- I would have given the guitar more hips. Extended the carve into the body, not just rounding the sides off.

Then again I'm big Maxxas fan so it's easy to see where these comments come from.

jessica-01.jpg

Still great second attempt though.

Third?

Edited by RGGR

Yeah, next time I won't have the bridge so close to the bridge just for the sake of being less crowded there. Sounds good though :D

The 'hips' got a little messed up because somehow when I was cutting the body shape one side was good and the other was a little smaller and more pointed. Since It would have looked anorexic if I smoothed out the smaller, pointier side and then cut down the fatter side I decided to just make 'em somewhere in the middle. Plays comfortably.

BNichols: I made the back of the neck (the mahogany part) and bought the slotted fingerboard from StewMac

Third guitar (in progress): something like Alexei Laiho's RRV but with stop tail/TOM bridge, white with a black pinstripe paintjob instead of those big solid black parts on his

B):D