Striping And Sanding...oh My!

What do you do when this happens? I've stripped the old finish off of my Precision bass body (which was dark green) and am going to refinish it back to it's original natural finish. However I've found that over the years several dings and scratches have developed with normal use and the paint is down in these little craters. I don't want to sand all the way down because some of these are 1/8 in deep or so. Would you put some kind of grain filler or something in it? Since I'm refinishing it back natural I don't want it to look like it's got spots on it. :D Any suggestions?

+1 Jon.

I use my soldering iron and press it into pea-sized lumps of soaked toilet tissue.

So the wood will fill out? How does this work? If it wasn't on the front of the bass, I wouldn't worry so much about it.

It works quite well!!!

The wood is compressed with the dent. The steam gets in there and expands the wood fibers to nearly its original shape. If the fibers are broken - cut or snapped in the wood itself, steaming wont work. Usually, you get some broken fibers and some bent fibers... the bent ones straighten out and the cut or broken ones.. dont. You end up with a better situation than when you started.

I just steamed out a dent in a NEW Les Paul (arrived with a nasty dent). It came up to about 85-90 percent of what the dent was. The small place left over... got hit with a bit of extra lacquer when I refinished it (bfg, begging for refinihs)

+1 Jon.

I use my soldering iron and press it into pea-sized lumps of soaked toilet tissue.

So the wood will fill out? How does this work? If it wasn't on the front of the bass, I wouldn't worry so much about it.

It works quite well!!!

The wood is compressed with the dent. The steam gets in there and expands the wood fibers to nearly its original shape. If the fibers are broken - cut or snapped in the wood itself, steaming wont work. Usually, you get some broken fibers and some bent fibers... the bent ones straighten out and the cut or broken ones.. dont. You end up with a better situation than when you started.

I just steamed out a dent in a NEW Les Paul (arrived with a nasty dent). It came up to about 85-90 percent of what the dent was. The small place left over... got hit with a bit of extra lacquer when I refinished it (bfg, begging for refinihs)

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip! :D