Direct amp plug in boxes

krazyderek

I have a studio with built in effects and they're ok, BUT... you know..... and i've tried mix'ing on the 2 balanced XLR inputs but i couldn't get what i wanted out for a set of sure57's... and i really like my amp setup sound (roland amp and marshall mg slave amp) , so my friend braught this (pic below) to my attention, it plugs in between your head and your cab... he said that satriani has used one on some songs, so what do you guys think?

here's the site, i'm looking at getting the PDI 99, which is the stereo version of the box below

DI-BOX.jpg

well right after i posted i got this funny feeling so then i checked...... yup, i already posted about this a couple months ago....... oh well... B)

maybe someone's tried one since then ? :D

Unless I'm mistaken, what Satriani and Vai have used is called a Re-Amp. They would record the clean guitar signal directly onto tape. Then they would replay that clean signal through the re-amp into the guitar amp(s) so they can play around with the amp distortion afterwards, etc.

Hughes and Kettner Red Box. Excellent DI Box and you can get them cheap on eBay

my friend mentioned the red box.... he said it was kinda junky, u ever used it scott?

being in the process of finishing a 14 track demo. ive played a bit with this stuff. heres my offical view. going direct can yeild acceptable results if you really know your board, eq, etc... otherwise its a pain.

even the direct out of my mesa would have taken alot of post work to get me happy. there is something magic about speakers interacting with air. if your not getting results with a 57 theres something weak in your chain.

what my band found is the need for goog mike pre's(presonus bluetube or dbx) Behringer just came out with a tube pre for $39. also used a sennhieser little square mike i borowed from a freind.

also what are you recording to, disk, tape, etc... if your recording to disk you really need a good sound card to get results.

hmm, i have heard that mic's pre's make all the difference.... vinnie swears by his.. or at least he used to

when i tried mic's i was using 2 57's, 1 on each amp, going into my digital recording station via the 2 balance XLR inputs, i tried messing around with some of the mic presets and just running it dry and mixing.... and moving the mic around a bit close, far, an inch away, offset... what not.. just couldn't repoduce on the monitors what I was hearing from the amps. i do all the work on the station ( i really hate windows, and i've tried using sonar and cakewalk and yada yada yada..... i ended up just buying a DRS) then i record off my station via an optical cable going into my DIO 2448 card...then play around with it in sound forge.

so you think 2 pre mic's might help?? maybe i'll see if i can rent a set along with 2 mic's this time around, any other advie?

I think it's not just a matter of having mic pre-amps but also the type of mic pre-amp that you use. If I remember correctly, balanced pre-amps that use an input transformer sound better than ones using electronically balanced (semiconductor) input curcuitry. That's why some recording engineers use old (vintage) pre-amps even in state-of-the-art studios. Tube pre-amps are supposed to sound warmer too.

so something like this??

it has a tube so i must be going in the right direction?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...item=2568305423

but... transformer.... umm.. you mean something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...8&category=3278

what's the name of that new Behringer??? money is starting to get kinda tight :D

oooooooh found the presonus B) wow, it does look good

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=03.../base_id/109383

i run my sm-57 thru an old 4-track first, before my board.

like this" MIC->4-track->mixer->soundcard.

to me i get a much truer sound wiith the four track. it is kind of like having a mic pre, just not as versital. i have a tascam 4-track, it has two balanced XLR inputs. i also run a creative soundblaster audigy sound card.

i like the way it sounds.

I use a SansAmp for everything and I love it.

Guitar > Sans Amp > 4 Track (as a mixer) > Line in.

I was just uploading a mix of the new guitar to show y'all what it sounds like. Yeah, we did the chat room thing, but this is a more rehearsed piece. Have a listen to Jehle-GOTM-Song here.

The point is that even though it's an amp sim. It does the job really well. I can make it sound just like my real amps, and there's no hassle with mics or playing too loud for the rest of the house or neighborhood.

Enjoy!

hello all

the way i record my guitar work is quite unusual. well first of all i only record at my friends house as this computer does not have the power to use good audio programs, and his does. so we both use boss metal zones pedals and peavey rage 158 amps and we use his boss br532 as a recording interface with about 5x128mb smart media cards, that then get transfered on to computer for mixing. so it goes like this.

guitar>metal zone>rage128>br532>rage158 <last amp is the output of br532, it is there so we can hear what the guitar and pedal sound like in it's true form and because the rage 158 does not have a line out. when guitar track is complete, we transfer it onto computer with the smart media cards. a tedious process but seems to work well if you are on a budget and you add the time and effort. besides, his audio card is ****ing **** so that's the best choice of getting tracks done. the guitar tracks are then mixed in with my uncles bass that i borrow from him and which i play into br532 through his line 6 bass pod xt and drum tracks< created in fruity loops and vocals recorded into a shure SM-47. mixing is all done with sonar 2.2 <in my opinion, the holy grail of computer mixers. i love it!

of course we both have different setting on pedal and amp, so we just change around metal zones and amp knob settings.

when we did it the first time this way, the pedal>amp sounded really thin through the head phones. but when it came out of a speaker it sounded just right. and recording it onto a mic was out of question as it sounded like **** when we did that too. so pretty much we had to tweak around with the eq on amp to get the right chunk out of it. it has a nice, tight, thrashy, transistor distortion tone i heart.

we use to record from metal zone stright to br532. but with thorough ****ing around, it sounds much better when the distorted signal goes through the amp, we found. it adds more depth in the highs, mids and lows and gave me the squealing mids that i dig. although my friend puts his mids all the way down we found it compliments my guitar and makes our guitars sound crunchier when we play simultaneously.

i know i have wrote a lot about my self. thank satan i have stopped B). well anyways, this shows you that you don't need expensive **** and that if you are on budget, and you have lots of cheap equipment, you can still record cool music that sound just like a real studio recording. well i think my demo sounds pretty cool. :D.

Page.