Headstock Reshaping

So I am considering buying a carvin neck blank.. 7 string one, but they only give the DC727 headstock option.. which would not fit my body design at all. So is it possible if I add more wood onto the headstock, and reshape it? Will it make it too weak for the string tension? I might not replace the tuning positions, but at least the shape, to make the body flow better with the headstock..

It should work, correct?

Have you tried calling them? I've ordered from them (and plan to again) and they have been great as far as customer service goes. If you say pretty please, they'd probably be able to give you a neck with a paddle headstock for you to cut your own.

So long as you're planning on sticking with the default tuner holes for your project, I don't see any issue with adding wood and carvin (pun.) away at it. It's when you get into filling the holes or chopping the whole thing off or crazy **** that I might be a bit more cautious. I know what people say about glue being stronger than the wood, but I still dunno.

I think the Carvin 7 headstock is great, and, forgive the generalization, but if you're making a 7, you probably play some sort of metal. I don't see any difficulty with just sharpening the points off and it'd fit fine, in my opinion. What body shape are we talking about here, anyways?

i have reshaped headstockes before by cutting of both sides so it is basically rectangular then gluing on extra bits of wood - but its always a good idea to plug the tuner holes add a headplate to the front and back of you new headstock to make sure its strong enough.

Much better idea to see how flexible carvin will be first!

Yea I been emailing Aaron from Carvin about options, and unfortunately the only headstock they can do is a DC727 on 7 string ones. No option for paddlehead even. It must be CNC'd.

Yeh the headstock is ok, but I plan on adding it on a metal looking guitar so it wont fit. If it was just a strat shaped guitar, im sure it would be ok, but it wont look great on this. It will be similar to an Ibanez Xiphos shape maybe, but abit more curvy. So you can imagine how weird it would look. I wish I could use it for my Strat shaped guitar, but that one, colour options makes me really want a bloodwood fretboard, so I am going to go with another neck builder. But for the metal-shaped one, I want maple and it made asap, so dont wanna wait 4 months for a neck to be made with just the headstock shaping the only difference between the two.

Edited by SLushe

The Carvin headstock isn't distinctly "UN-metal" to my eye. A few touches here and there (sharpening the points, flattening out the subtle curves) would be enough, I would think. What kind of "metal" body style will you be using?

something similar to an Ibanez Xiphos (basically jackson warrior) but not as pointy as them. The carvin headstock is ok but for those kinda guitars, I think they sould be pointing upwards more, almost like a reverse headstock of a normal jackson. Thats what looks best imo, but I will have to come up with something cool, to accomidate 4+3 tuners lol

When you put it that way, I kinda agree with you, the reverse headstock part of it. a 3+4 would look much better on a Xiphos (gag :D) body than a 4+3. Make sure to make the headstock blank oversized, because you can always take away wood, putting it on requires a lot more effort.

well I am not a fan of that carvin dc727 shape either way, reverse or normal. So I am gonna just add a small bit of wood on the top, shape it to like an Ibanez reverse headstock, and that should be fine, even if its 4+3, it shouldnt look too bad with a quilted veneer on it. hopefully

hay mate yeah for sure it can be done have alook here this is how i made my bc rich style head stock

123123.jpg