Templates

I wanted to see if anyone else bought the 70s strat templates from guitarbuildingtemplates.com? I noticed the neck pocket and the neck templates do not fit together at all, I have to take out about 1/16th of an inch out to get it close to getting in the pocket. Is this normal with laser cut templates, or is it just mine?

I wanted to see if anyone else bought the 70s strat templates from guitarbuildingtemplates.com? I noticed the neck pocket and the neck templates do not fit together at all, I have to take out about 1/16th of an inch out to get it close to getting in the pocket. Is this normal with laser cut templates, or is it just mine?

im going to say its just yours. you should contact ronni, hes great about fixing problems. i have ordered numerous sets, and all of them fit exactly. you might have got a mismatched set by accident.

im going to say its just yours. you should contact ronni, hes great about fixing problems. i have ordered numerous sets, and all of them fit exactly. you might have got a mismatched set by accident.

i got several sets and the fit on the strat template is crap the pocket is way bigger than the neck template

the tele not much better

i found the pockets on ronkims go with templates from guitarbuildingtemplates.com sets weird huh

now i am making my own necks i will cut my own pocket template from a laser cut of the design drawing

Search through the forum tutorials. There is a great thread on how to cut the neck pocket by clamping some rails along the neck. You can use mdf, as long as the edges are perfectly straight. And it is very cheap.

Edit:

I found the link during some general surfing this morning. This is the method I use and the neck pocket gets nice and tight and will accomodate any neck you use and doesn't take very long to set up. The only thing I do different is use a laser level with the laser set vertically to get the neck perfectly center before I place the side pieces in.

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/pocket/index.htm

You know I just order the Gibson Firebird (set neck) templates and realized, after I had cut my neck angle in $50 worth of mahogany, that the fretboard is only about 17.5" while the actual specs for a Firebird fretboard spec to just over 18". When I asked him he responded by saying noone has complained yet. The length is clearly wrong. The only way I am going to be able to salvage this wood is to go with a bolt on configuration (i.e. not enough length in the wood to lengthen the neck and still have enough to cover the body needed).

As for the neck pocket temps, I too ordered the Stew Mac only to return it. I have used the method in the previous link with exceptional results. I use this method to make a 1/4" plexi template from which I then use a pattern bit to complete a perfect pocket.

Edited by spotenator

build a jazzmaster with his templates...body is done and got the pickguard today...neither the lower horn, nor the pickup placement and the neck pocket fit at all...way off...i know i should have ordered the pickguard before building the body, but still...