Epoxy Inlay

I remember seeing the guitar with epoxy/microballoon inlays and was wondering if black epoxy alone will work as an inlay. I'm using a maple fretboard so I dont want the epoxy to end up staining it and having to remake my neck. The reason I'm trying to go the easy route and not inlay premade letters is A. I can use my own font and B. its my first inlay/neck and I thought this might be easier

Thanks,

Matt

I remember seeing the guitar with epoxy/microballoon inlays and was wondering if black epoxy alone will work as an inlay. I'm using a maple fretboard so I dont want the epoxy to end up staining it and having to remake my neck. The reason I'm trying to go the easy route and not inlay premade letters is A. I can use my own font and B. its my first inlay/neck and I thought this might be easier

Thanks,

Matt

dunno about the need for fillers (microbaloons), but crushed recon or glitter sure does work. Thing is, inlaying in maple is always difficult; getting a clean route is the hard part, whether you're matching a solid piece of inlay or just want to fill with glue.

There's another alternative if you want to keep things simple. Design a logo or pick a font you like and send it to HuntinDoug. He can do a scrimshaw inlay within a circle based on a standard forstner bit size. In my case I used 1". This means rather than difficult routing of your maple you can use a forstner bit in a drill press and have a really cool and custom look fairly simply. You can then fill in the recessed area with a colored epoxy for the contrasting color.

I can't post/view from photobucket at work, so just check out this thread and find the appropriate picture:

Scrimshaw Inlay on Headstock

Whatever epoxy you like, really.

Personally, I use superglue.

+1 I've tried a lot of the different, high end epoxies and I've found the cheap superglue stuff to be the best. It color better and is easier to handle. At less then $3 a tube it's a bargain.

Thats a very nice build going on by your friend. I like the the details of it; everything from filler inlays on maple to the thin laminate under the fretboard. Clean body as well. Very nice stuff. Offer my compliments to him if you will. I've been thinking about trying a thin piece of wood under the fretboard with no binding because I have a couple pieces of purpleheart that would work perfect for that and not much else. Do you know what the wood is under the fretboard? Thickness as well? Thanks for sharing that. J

Thats a very nice build going on by your friend. I like the the details of it; everything from filler inlays on maple to the thin laminate under the fretboard. Clean body as well. Very nice stuff. Offer my compliments to him if you will. I've been thinking about trying a thin piece of wood under the fretboard with no binding because I have a couple pieces of purpleheart that would work perfect for that and not much else. Do you know what the wood is under the fretboard? Thickness as well? Thanks for sharing that. J

Are argentinian woods. I think that it's cancharana, that it's a wood almost = to the mahogany. the thickness it's 2mm IIRC.

Cool, thanks for the response. I think its cool to use local woods, some of which other people have never seen before. Makes it unique in a way, cool stuff. Again thanks for the response and answers. J

PS: I just looked around and found a couple different guitars that used this wood and it looks very nice all finished, very cool choice for certain. I even saw a les paul woth a cancharana top and smartwood body, that looked interesting. Plus a bunch more guitars that came from that site I found Spanish Luthier site (I think). There are a few guitars that he uses that wood for and they all look nice. Anyhow, cool stuff man and thanks for the answers. J

PPS: If you go through his bass guitars, he uses a lot of that wood and even has an entire bass body made out of it and it looks really nice.

Edited by jmrentis