Emg Pickups

ibanezplayer

Nope. The only option is for both neck and bridge pickups to be 'always on' and not selectable. Then you fill the hole or slot left by your former switch with putty.

Nope. The only option is for both neck and bridge pickups to be 'always on' and not selectable. Then you fill the hole or slot left by your former switch with putty.

See here I was about to make a smartass comment, and you beat me to it.

ibanezplayer: You can use a switch just like you would with any other pickups. They don't come with switches because EMG doesn't know what kind of guitar you're going to put them in. Just use the switch that's already in your guitar.

<grumble> Way to ruin my fun. :D

The corresponding diagrams are available directly from EMG's product pages for either of those pickup sets, too... it took me about 5 seconds to find them.

Dude.

Brutal.

On a whim, I'm going to recommend typing "3-way guitar switch" into Google and pressing the "I feel lucky" button. I bet it'll be a blade switch. I haven't tried it myself. If that doesn't get you a blade switch, there WILL be one within the first set of hits at least, I guarantee it.

You suck at the internet. Lowest score, evar.

Yeah, if you've got a "super-strat" with a 5-way, you'll need to swap it out for a three way. Three-way blades are everywhere... they use them on Telecasters, which are pretty popular guitars. Try your local guitar shop. Or try GFS or Guitarpartsdepot.com... those are my first two stops when searching for cheap parts.

Greg,

Here's the first hit from google: http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/item--Guitar...e-knob--PROD112. A 3-way blade from Guitar Parts USA (a good store) -- perfect for the job!

Edited by fookgub

• 1 month later...

I bought an all gold 3-way selector switch off e-bay for around $10 + shipping. I was also wondering, I have an EMG 85 for my bridge & a Sa Singlr Coil for my neck with both coming with battery attachments. Would I need battery terminals for both pickups once I install them or can they be installed with just one battery.

My understanding is that any combination of EMG electronics, including preamps, can all be run off 1 battery. Some people like to use 2 wired together (not for each separate pickup) for extra headroom, but I honestly don't know what the sonic impact of that is. But no, you won't need 2 individual battery terminals.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I bought an all gold 3-way selector switch off e-bay for around $10 + shipping. I was also wondering, I have an EMG 85 for my bridge & a Sa Single Coil for my neck with both coming with battery attachments. Would I need battery terminals for both pickups once I install them or can they be installed with just one battery.

I was also wondering if I would need to put Copper Shielding Tape or Conductive Paint in the control cavitiy when using these pickups? If so where can I buy conductive paint from beside Stew-Mac?

I made a huge mistake 2 days ago & I am really stuck now. When I built my Prince Cloud Guitar which is a neck-through guitar, I never thought about the holes needed for EMG wiring kit. I was able to get a long drill bit from Home Depot to achieve this drilling. However I was able to drill a hole from the humbucker cavity to the control cavity with no problem at all. When I went to drill the hole for the neck pickup it punched through the top of the guitar which was already finished creating a hole in the top. I was thinking maybe i'll use some Bondo for the repair & just re-spray the body all over again. But with the EMG Sa single coil pickup the wiring is connected directly to the pickup & I feel I may have ruined my project by not asking this before I started. What should I do now, cause bad things are entering my mind about destroying my work out of sheer frustration :D HELP PLEASE

Edited by carlosnelson