Grey Finish/fade

I have been sitting here attempting to think of finishes on my next build(because I get anxious)I have been even looking at color charts, along with already existing guitars. Now I am thinking, I have always wanted something with grey stained wood, but I dont know what other colors(other than black)would go with it?, because I wouldnt want all grey that is too dull. I would like a fade or sunburst and I was thinking maybe a red/sherry color in the middle faded to grey. The red would be a real deep wine type color. Do you guys think that this would be at all a good color combination? And the guitar I am planning it on would have a top seperated with binding(like a Les Paul)...so I dont know what would be a good color for the rest of the body...other than more grey maybe accented with some more deep red or even some black to give a vintagy look? Any suggestions? I could try something on photoshop but I am not to sure how to do it(I can use photoshop just not sure how to do a sunburst on existing guitar)... :D Thanks

I can't imagine a grey burst would look very good with anything other than white or black. Grey + any other colour usually = mud.

In theory, it could work. There's no reason for gray to not "grade" properly into another colour. But in practice, I can't imagine many people getting anything that looked particularly good. I've just tried messing about in a draw program, and although it's not terrible, it's not all that appealing. And it'd have to be solid colours to even stand a chance. I picture something like Warmoth's "antigua" finish, but with gray and wine rather than ivory and black... and I don't think it would look absolutely "terrible"... but nor do I think it would look compelling.

Yeah I know what you mean by the mud thing. I would of course try practicing first. I like the grey fades but the body I am getting wont have a flame on it so it wouldnt look that great just being a grey to black fade, plus I like a little color, otherwise I would get bored by it :D So I dont know any other ideas you guys might have I am ears. But once I do a practice on some wood I will show you guys and see if you like it.