Variation On A V

Hi Folks,

Thought I'd share this project with everyone. I'm reasonably happy with it but I am very much learning about how much time and skill is required to create really outstanding guitars. The specs for this project:

Body: Old Mahogany 2 piece reclaimed from a mantle piece which was removed from a block of flats built in the 1920's. Very old timber but not sure what type of mahogany was used in Australia back then? I have been told Brazillian or Honduras?

Top: Bookmatched QLD Maple cap

Neck: 3 piece US Cherry outside and Walnut centre piece. Santos Rosewood fret board with paua shell dot inlays and mahogany binding

Other Stuff: A GFS loudmouth pickup with split coil available on the vol control, Wilkinson locking tuners, 22 frets, 25" scale

It is very lightweight for it's size and has a nice tone although a bit 'bright' for me. I have used 500k pots so might try 250k pots in there to warm it up a bit.

Finish is brushed on varnish :D , and ah yes I am now learning how to spray lacquer now that I have the gear! Also I decided on the one pickup for this axe as it will be mainly used for metal rythm stuff......not a big fan of playing acoustics on a V.

All comments most welcome. I am very much a beginner and owe a massive thank you to my good mate oztradie for his brilliant advice and incredible knowledge. And also a big thanks to all the posters here on PG! It is from PG and oztradie that I have acquired the knowledge to get this far so thanks a million :D

DSCN3310.jpg

DSCN3359.jpg

DSCN3361.jpg

DSCN3363.jpg

I dig the work. I'm not a big fan of the shape. I love V's and because they're my favourite guitar there's something that sits very wrong with me on that build. That's nothing to detract from the work you've done though. Looks like there's a little bit of play in the control cavity cover but other than that solid work.

Nice guitar, i love that neck! Interestingly enough i have the same timber as a mantel piece, though to me i doesn't look like mahogany but looks more like merbau or similar.

How does she sound?

Edited by RGman

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes I do need to improve on my control cavity covers! The cavity is spot on but getting the cover to seamlessly fit is another challenge. I'll get there :D

The sound straight into my Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 is somewhat bright with incredible sustain. Brightness as in plenty of treble but needs a bit more more warmth for my taste which surprised me as I expected Mahogany to be very warm sounding. When I use a Zoom G7 though the sound is absolutely sensational as the pedal adds the warmth etc.

Hmmm. A couple of people have suggested it is mahogany that have seen the the timber up close. You may be right though as I am yet to experience working with mahogany so could not categorically say that this is not it. I have an Ibanez SZ720FM that is a mahogany body and maple top.....sounds very warm, not like my V.

If you or anyone can identify the timber from the pics I would really appreciate it. It is VERY porous with a lot of loose fibres, almost furry when working it. Took a lot of shellac to seal it before the finishing coats. Oh yeah the dust also smells very sweet!

Looks like a lot of Asian joinery timber we have here that is labeled as merbau, but merbau is fairly dense but has high machining qualities. It also has grain very similar to your guitar.

Edited by RGman

your V grew a wang :D

hahahaha....well I already have a traditional 1980's Gibson styled V and my sirname begins with W. I also like the obligatory heavy metal symbol with the hand with the 2 outer fingers up :D so here's my take on the V!!!

I must admit though, we do not use the word 'wang' down under so I can only guess at what you mean!

I think your guess would be spot on anyway!

I guess your guitar is actually a W, lol.

hahaha.....yep that's it, A FLYING W....it's the latest thing :D

I agree tim_ado, more contour would have been great however I was limited on this build with only a 6mm top.....I wasn't keen to cut into the body on the edges, although in hindsight, the contrast may have been a bonus. Oh well, that's what I love about this game, I can always pull it apart, do some mods and refinish it! After all, I only varnished it and are now geared up and acquiring the knowledge to spray a lacquer finish....thanks for the idea! It will be considered. :D

That V is definitely a boy !!!!!!

Well done on the build Mr. 666

A beauty of a Qld maple top and put to good use to boot!!!

And for the record , I've always preferred the way that V sounded directly through your Marshall TSL anyhow..

I think it's balanced just fine, to my ears anyway.

But then again, I don't always hear correctly. (when the wife's in my ear :D )

see ya Friday,

Stu