Supershort Scale Guitars?

Does anyone know anything about these? I've been planning my new project, and I want to do something interesting, and I think a supershort slim fast shred guitar would be cool. I found a section of pre-slotted fretboards with 22.5" scale here. http://stores.ebay.com/California-Guitar-B...224025QQfrsrcZ1 I dont know if it's a good idea though, would it mess up the proportions and be ahrd to play? I noticed that Michael Batio's metal guitar here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg, has frets really close together. Is that a 22.5 inch scale guitar? If so, building something like that could be cool. Anyway, if anyone has any input that's great. Thanks.

Does anyone know anything about these? I've been planning my new project, and I want to do something interesting, and I think a supershort slim fast shred guitar would be cool. I found a section of pre-slotted fretboards with 22.5" scale here. http://stores.ebay.com/California-Guitar-B...224025QQfrsrcZ1 I dont know if it's a good idea though, would it mess up the proportions and be ahrd to play? I noticed that Michael Batio's metal guitar here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg, has frets really close together. Is that a 22.5 inch scale guitar? If so, building something like that could be cool. Anyway, if anyone has any input that's great. Thanks.

michael angelo's guitar is not a 22.5. that has to be at least a baritone scale, or else you wouldnt be able to even play the hight frets. that guitar has 29 frets. why would you assume that is a short scale guitar? that neck is huge

Edited by killemall8

shorter scale = less tension = heavier strings

Personally I need 10's on anything under a 25.5" scale because it all gets a bit sloppy, 24" would probably need 11's at a guess, 22.5"...hmm isn't that a ukelele? I'm not a shredder but playing on a shorter scale doesn't equal easier playing. Your fingers would be really squashed up on the higher frets & the lower tension could cause tuning issues when fretting unless you have heavy strings. Look at "shred" guitars & you'll notice that they are almost exclusively 25.5" scale.

Nothing wrong with trying different scales, by all means go for it but do it for the right reasons.

BTW...anyone find it funny that he's wearing a Gold's Gym shirt despite looking like a twig...& I wonder if he's the lost child of Alice Cooper & Chrissie Hind

22.5"...hmm isn't that a ukelele?

Nope, a uke is even shorter. 22.5 would be a long scale octave mandolin, a short scale bouzouki, or possibly a baritone uke. All very fun instruments to play.

I wonder if he's the lost child of Alice Cooper & Chrissie Hind

:D

22.5"...hmm isn't that a ukelele?

Nope, a uke is even shorter. 22.5 would be a long scale octave mandolin, a short scale bouzouki, or possibly a baritone uke. All very fun instruments to play.

I wonder if he's the lost child of Alice Cooper & Chrissie Hind

:D

I'm just finishing up a 17" scale for my son, which does use a Ukellele scale on a wider board. Figure I'll be using heavy strings! Can't say yet how it will sound but 21 or 22" scale is what I'm going to do for my third build. 2nd will be a 25" scale for an adult.

Thanks for the link, I'll bookmark the store. I think LMI will also do short scale lengths, but can't recall where I got the 17" fret board, but I didn't slot it myself.

Todd

Edited by ToddW

Fender made Musicmaster's, Duo-Sonics, and Mustangs in 22.5" scale.

22.5" is a popular lap steel scale too.

Really, I thought that Fender's shorter scale was 24"?

I've thought about using up some scraps & making a 1/2 scale, 12.75" guitar...having just the high octave. I'm trying hard to make my girlfriend's niece musical & I figured that it would be fun for her to play with, she's nearly 3.