P90's... Opinions?

Geo

Has anyone tried Fralin P90's? They're way expensive... I'm just wondering if the tone is worth all that.

At a fraction of the price... has anyone tried GFS P90's? They're pretty cheap.

I tried searching, but both "GFS" and "P90" are one character short of the 4-letter keyword minimum. :D Very helpful. :D

Interesting... thanks for the input. CMA, your comment is encouraging.

Hm, now I'm reading reviews for the Lollar P90's at Harmony Central. They really sound like what I'm looking for. This guitar (it's still just a concept right now) would be semi-hollow with an angled, maple set-neck. Possibly a bloodwood fingerboard cuz I love how it looks against maple.

Edited by Geo

• 8 months later...

I have a question about p-90s, so I thought to pick this topic back up. I'm thinking of getting a tonerider p-90, mostly because of the positive reactions and the low price. Has any of youguys got experience with either the H-90 or the rebel (humbucker sized) pickups of tonerider?

What I really want to know though, what's the difference in sound between the two?

Cheers

I've never been crazy about the P90 sound. It's ok, but I'm a Fender guy.

That said, for Tonerider pickups check with member rjhalsey. He's a dealer and will shoot you straight. I have 2 sets of the Strat pups and 1 Tele set and they're great.

Also, check out Curtis Novak. He's been under the radar for a long time but people are starting to "discover" him. I got a set of his Strat pups about a month ago and I've been flying high ever since. He's another straight shooter. :D

Seymour put out a P-Rails that has people's ears perking up. I personally have never ever played a guitar with a P90, but I didn't see it mentioned above, so I thought I'd throw the option out there if you hadn't heard already. Dunno if it would be too much versatility/overkill though.

that's pretty cool. I might have to build something like that sometime.

Seymour put out a P-Rails that has people's ears perking up. I personally have never ever played a guitar with a P90, but I didn't see it mentioned above, so I thought I'd throw the option out there if you hadn't heard already. Dunno if it would be too much versatility/overkill though.

that's pretty cool. I might have to build something like that sometime.

That is pretty cool, but ugly as sin. :D

Check out the video. Some members might recognize that guy. http://www.seymourduncan.com/movies/p_rails_videos.shtml

Ive got P90 `s from Wilkingson (cheep but crap)

Lollar nice and compaired to a 60 something LP jr DC with original P90 sounds sweeter but less agresive. Great for blues.

Vintage Vibe P90 , my fave . it comes with both alnico and ceramic magnets that you can swap .Loaded with the ceramic and fitted to a LP jr its punk heaven. The alnico for blues.

Vintage Vibe