Andy Sumner (of The Police) 'tribucker' Thing...

The royal consort

Hiya

I was watching a documentary on The Police just a minute ago and I noticed that he was playing quite a few guitars with a pick up combo that consisted of three coils in one pickup ring.

After a quick googling its a standard humbucker with a starndard single...

Does anyone know which pickup goes where and what wireing was used.

Apparently Hamer used an odd value capacitor in the tone controls. anyone know about that?

I always loved his sound but could never reproduce it... Maybe this is the answer...

If nothing else it'd be a fun project...

Edited by The royal consort

three coils in one pickup ring

Sounds like the motherbucker from Mighty Might (or whoever is making them these days.

EDIT: No, I was wrong. The motherbucker is something else. But I know that there have been some three-bobbin HBs made, usually mounted in one single mounting ring like you described.

Edited by SwedishLuthier

• 2 weeks later...
three coils in one pickup ring

Sounds like the motherbucker from Mighty Might (or whoever is making them these days.

EDIT: No, I was wrong. The motherbucker is something else. But I know that there have been some three-bobbin HBs made, usually mounted in one single mounting ring like you described.

The Motherbucker is actually a dual humbucker, or 4 coil pickup. In fact, some of the early models were actually just two of those standard single-coil slot mini-buckers in a special pickup ring.

• 1 month later...

The original Mighty Mite Motherbucker was triple coiled, and this is a guitar that I build in the early 80:s with it. I don't remember the switching with the mini switches, but they must have been som serie/parallel/coil tap switching (there was surely a lot of options).

Motherbucker...

Edited by Vendelcrow

Most of Andy's best-known guitar work was recorded with nothing more than a bone-stock Strat, with few exception. Just need a nice clean amp and a good set of fingers to nail that tone.

I think you'll find that Hamer Prototype's featured quite heavily - which is the guitar the original poster's on about.

Unfortunatley there isn't a schematic on the HFC for the Prototype so i can't help in how it was wired.

Jem.