White Dot Inlays On Maple Fingerboard

i agree too

as an artist it doesnt make sense to have a light background and a light foreground unless your specifically going for that effect

in this case the background being maple

it would amke sense to have a dark foreground

heres one example Jackson

its always good to have nice contrast to compliment one thing

and black or dark green on white makesthe white pop more

thats my opinion though

hope this helps! Kenny

Has anyone used white dot inlays on a maple fingerboard? I was wondering how that would look? I will be using a tinted clear on the neck as well. Does anyone have a picture of this?

Won't the tinted clear affect the colour of the dot?? ....which could make it look even less distinct??

Just a thought...

DJ

That's what I thought. Personally I don't think I'd really like the look anyway, but each to their own.

If you're trying to go for something really subtle on purpose, I thought about cutting some plugs out of the same wood and inlaying them with the grain perpendicular to the grain in the fretboard.

A dark bezel around the MOP would set it off nice, even silver / aluminum like I did on this lap steel I'm building.

Granted, its abalone on mahogany, but you get the general idea.

tdrop26s.jpg

what did you use for the inlays surrounds? and what was the process of putting them into the fretboard?

what did you use for the inlays surrounds? and what was the process of putting them into the fretboard?

I used some 9/32 aluminum tubing I picked up at the hobby store, it has a 1/4" ID.

What I did was cut off some small pieces with a jewelers saw, drilled a shallow, (3/32 - 1/8 deep), 9/32 hole, and set the tubing pieces into the wood with a little CA.

Once set and dry, I rough leveled the rings with a flat file, and then went on with the finish sanding.

Once the sanding was done, I set the 1/4" abalone with some epoxy, let cure, then sanded level, finished / polished off with some 0000 wool.