Can Anyone Tell Me How This Is Done?

Its a dark red stain. Staining black first, then sanding, then re-staining, is a waste of time and wont get you any closer to the finish you want.

I would do a plain dark red stain, then colour to suit with a transperant red lacquer (add the stain into the lacquer, check its compatible first).

Its a dark red stain. Staining black first, then sanding, then re-staining, is a waste of time and wont get you any closer to the finish you want.

I would do a plain dark red stain, then colour to suit with a transperant red lacquer (add the stain into the lacquer, check its compatible first).

Interesting, you both said stain it. But nobody mentioned how. Staining to me means pigment stains. I would have thought that using a dark dye, sanding, and then using a lighter dye would accentuate the flame. It's the technique I plan on using.

Todd

Interesting, you both said stain it. But nobody mentioned how.

How many ways of applying stain are there? Left handed, or right handed... wax on, wax off...

Seriously, you wipe it on with a rag, or you spray it on. Or, if you are doing mass production (and even then, its extremely rare) you could spray raw stain onto the wood, but then it has a habit of getting blotchy, and uneven (see cheap furniture for an example).

Here, if you can't figure out the whole stain concept, this is a link that shows how easy it is, though I wouldn't expect similar results :D

Stain Link:SuperStrat

I went searching for that link the other day as I was starting to plan my finish so I can start buying some of the stuff and everytime I go back and read that thread I am shocked at how easy the process is and how nice it turns out. Simply amazing stuff.

Here, if you can't figure out the whole stain concept, this is a link that shows how easy it is, though I wouldn't expect similar results :D

^^ thats about as complex as it gets. I will repeat what ive said a million times before. Stain black then sand back, kills the reflective qualities of the grain, without enhancing it any more than you can with simple, common staining techniques.

I went searching for that link the other day as I was starting to plan my finish so I can start buying some of the stuff and everytime I go back and read that thread I am shocked at how easy the process is and how nice it turns out. Simply amazing stuff.

WOW! That superstrat is BEAUTIFUL!!

Im doing a blood red finish next week. If i get time i might make a video for youtube.

Excellent stuff, thank you guys!

Yeah, a video showing how would be very useful, I'd certainly watch it!

DJ

Edited by djhollowman

Ok, i'll try and do it. Im under the pump right now, so i will try and organise it, but i may not get it done. It will be a week or so between staining, lacquering, editting the footage. I MIGHT get to staining on friday.

If you are real lucky, ill do a burst too :D

...gets into Homer character..... "Woohoo!"

That's certainly something I'll be looking forward to!

Just visited your website and was blown away by the look and quality of your instruments.

Actually, it's slightly intimidating now that I've seen how good those ones are....

Never mind, I'm only just starting, and every journey of a thousand miles etc etc!

DJ