Opinions Please

feylya

Hmm, I have found a 7-string guitar on the internet for ?166. 24-fret, rosewood fretboard, maple neck, alder body, dual humbuckers, Floyd Rose. This is very tempting to me at the moment because I really want a 7-string. Now, should I sell my Epiphone strat that I've modified to dual humbuckers (ESP), checker plate aluminium pickguard and Floyd Rose bolted on for about ?200-?300 (assuming I can bluff my way) and get the 7-string or should I not bother?

I have been offered (I think) 2 EMG HZ 707's for free to replace the hummers in the 7-string.

Opinions? The 7-String

• 2 weeks later...

id stay with what you have, you might find that you dont like the 7 after a while, and regret sellin ur guitar, also a modded guitar has a very low resale value. if its the low end, try lower tunings and thicker strings. eg. Malmsteen tunes to Eflat, if your sfter low tuning, tune to Eflat, then drop the bottom string, like if ure dropping for drop d tuuning, see Stephen Carpenter

Mike B, on the new Deftones album Stephen Carpenter uses a very nice 7 string guitar with a baritone neck, he then drops the bottom B string to an A.

at some point i am going to have to get a 7 string myself since i just think they're so damn cool (and i wanna play stuff off the new deftones album lol)

i personally keep my current guitar tuned to D and just use heaier gauge strings. it sounds better and i only have todrop the bottom string to play SoaD lol

Harley Benton guitars are the "house" brand of Thomann. Although I have read some rather positive reviews of them, I don't think I would want one as my main (only) guitar. Seriously, I wouldn't sell a guitar that I've modded myself to get an absolutely low-end guitar from another brand. That axe is under 200 squid with shipping and all, so if you can wait till christmas, I'd strongly advise you not to sell your strat and save for the Benton.

You can also keep your eyes on German ebay for Harley Benton guitars, there are always a few on sale, and if the seller doesn't ship to Ireland, contact me and I'll see if I can rig up the deal and get the thing shipped to ya.

so long

ace