Cutting Glass

cukaracha

I guarantee there are sites out there with lots of information particular to cutting glass. While a few people here might happen to know a bit about it, sometimes a little Google goes a long way. :D

I've never seen anyone else looking for a way to cut class on PG. The rest have already "googled it". :D

Something's fishy in that video, but it might just be my natural scepticism. What would be REALLY useful is if you tried it and got back to us. Please use gloves and eye protection and any other precaution you can think of.

The lighter was just to demonstrate to the camera (for sceptics like me) that it is glass and not plastic (plastic would melt and warp) and wasn't actually part of what made him allegedly able to cut the glass.

Google is my friend

What a small world. Google is my brother-in-law's cousin ! Ok, maybe not. But I'm prettty sure I once asked here how to cut 1/4" thick glass. Someone scared the crap out of me by saying "water jet" cutting might be my best bet. Then I searched the net, found some good info, which was more DIY friendly than that water jet crap, but still seemed too hard. Then I went to a friend's house, 'cause his wife did some glass cutting. We scored a line on the glass with a tool made just for doing that, then used a running pliers to squeeze the glass a little right on the score line and POP !, I had one strip of glass after another. Used diamond abrasive tools to round sharp edges off (good idea to use mask if using a diamond bit in a moto-tool). Diamond hones are also great for doing it by hand.

Tried the ' score a line, heat the line, dip in water', but did not work well.

Something's fishy in that video, but it might just be my natural scepticism. What would be REALLY useful is if you tried it and got back to us. Please use gloves and eye protection and any other precaution you can think of.

You can't cut glass like that. It's just slight of hand. What's the water really for, you ask? To conceal the pre-cut pieces and allow him to manipulate them without anyone noticing.

I do a bit of stained glass work. 2mm is roughly the same as the 2/32" glass normally used. You need to score it with a glass cutter. Once is enough. The inexpensive hardware type is fine. use a bit of oil on the area to be scored prior to doing so. Do not use the ball end of the cutter to tap the glass, its made for thicker stuff. Anyway, if you score it well using firm. but not hard pressure, you may be able to crack it by hand. (cut on a 60 - 70 degree angle). You can use the edge of a table also. This is for straight cuts only. Otherwise you need a set of groziers. Curved cuts may require a set of radii cuts to avoid cracking the piece. Presuming you do not have a glass grinder, you can sand the edges with 120 - 180 grit tape to a flat (such as glass) surface. Check the Delphi glass site.

Good luck with your project.

You can't cut glass like that. It's just slight of hand. What's the water really for, you ask? To conceal the pre-cut pieces and allow him to manipulate them without anyone noticing.

Nice catch - that makes far more sense than any other explaination.

Actually, it looks like I spoke too soon: http://www.spectrumglass.com/Library/Score...oFishStory.html