My Band Won Last Nights Battle Of The Bands!

weaponepsilon

Okay, not to overstroke anyones ego, but we played a battle of the bands against three other "hard" bands and we won. Now we are going to participate in the finals with the last weekly winners. Should we change the set up or keep it the same. THe whole bands is kind of leaning one way or the other. The guitarist wants the closing song to be the opening song, general fixes here and there. But I am a little skeptical. I may want to change out a song or two, but not change the whole order. Experienced replies appreciated.

Here's a general idea, the band has about 25 songs in its catalogue, all original. The new guitarist and myself can rally 15 or so together. Now it's really pick and choosing time because we are playing Thursday. Same judges, venue, and the winners from the last three nights of this. Since the genres are all over the board, I was thinking of changing out half the set in favor of something to showcase our versatility. They want to do a cover or two, but I flat out refuse. Covers are good for gigs, not contests. Every band that I saw play a cover never made it in the contest. You can check out what I mean at our website

I was initially going to argue keeping the same set, but perhaps change maybe one song. I guess everythings is going to be changed up.

Good rock music from this decade? I didn't know that existed, this is really great music.

Thanks Jon. Though we did not win the contest, we still made it to the finals for a debut gig and got three cases of beer. We had the crowd on our side and the place was jumping. We had a few minor problems: my hand went numb at the beginning of the set, we had no mixing in the monitors (I couldn't harmonize with the singer) the sound guy cut my mike in the middle of one of my parts, the lead guitar popped a string through the second song, and most memorable, the rhythem guitarist went to hit a note on the down beat and his strap flopped off and his prized strat lost a good chunk of paint on the hard stage. I was a little disappointed but a lot of the other bands said they were impressed by us. No hard feelings, onto the next gig.

Edited by weaponepsilon

Good rock music from this decade? I didn't know that existed, this is really great music.
and most memorable, the rhythem guitarist went to hit a note on the down beat and his strap flopped off and his prized strat lost a good chunk of paint on the hard stage.

Keep doing that and it'll be a relic in no time! :D

And make sure you guys know the songs down to a T and you'll be great. Also, tell your buddy to get some strap locks. :D

and most memorable, the rhythem guitarist went to hit a note on the down beat and his strap flopped off and his prized strat lost a good chunk of paint on the hard stage.

Keep doing that and it'll be a relic in no time! :D

And make sure you guys know the songs down to a T and you'll be great. Also, tell your buddy to get some strap locks. :D

Funny thing that's mentioned. The guitarist in my band uses straplocks and his guitar fell off maybe 4 times last gig. I stopped using straplocks for the same reason, the Dunlop design wears too easily and is a complete joke 3-5 years down the road.

actually I use those locking discs that stewmac sells for $2. Never had that problem. I guess I'll be getting a set for my friend. In practice, everything is cherry, nobody screws up all the vocals are spot on, the parts just fall into place. Usually I go well with the background yelling, but if I can't hear the singer, I can't harmonize.