Pickup Cover Or Not?

Astro2k

Hi I like the way a guitar looks with pickup covers on it, and thinking bout getting some but was wondering if they change your sound or decrease your output of your pickups? anyone added pickup covers and noticed a difference? I have High output pickups Mother buckers 21k out put. Thanks :D

Hi I like the way a guitar looks with pickup covers on it, and thinking bout getting some but was wondering if they change your sound or decrease your output of your pickups? anyone added pickup covers and noticed a difference? I have High output pickups Mother buckers 21k out put. Thanks :D

i have found that plastic pup covers change the sound. some guitarists say that normal "metal" covers don't change your sound, and some say they do.

they aren't expensive to buy, so get em and try....

sound advice cause it rhymned

i have found that plastic pup covers change the sound. some guitarists say that normal "metal" covers don't change your sound, and some say they do.

That is the first time ever that I hear somebody claiming that plastic covers change the sound of the pickup. Usually people say the opposite. I have not A/B-tested with/without plastic covers but I have a hard time understanding how a plastic cover could affect the sound. If you keep the pole-pice-to-string distance the sound shouldn’t be affected at all.

On the other hand, metal covers do change the sound. The cover shields the coil. That affects the sound. In metal covers there will appear so called eddy currents that affect the sound. The metal cover have been claimed to act like a capacitor and change the sound.

A metal cover will generally attenuate the highs a bit. Not much but noticeable for most people. That was the reason for Jeff Beck to remove the covers on his LP way back. And everybody liked the way he sounded so everybody followed. A bad thing they couldn’t get his fingers too…

It is also possible to use a semi-enclosed cover like this:

http://www.guitarjonesusa.com/catalog/prod...products_id=455

Or the Gretsch style covers in the middle of this page:

http://www.axesrus.com/axepupcovs.htm

Not the same look, but you might like it. And they will not affect the sound as much

This is one of those cases of "infantessimal change measurable through scientific instruments only" vs. "desired aesthetic effect."

In other words, the change would be so incredibly puny that you should just pick whichever you prefer the look of. :D

Greg