New Projects - - Wood Dilema!

WezV

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never liked the look of dog-ear p-90s. They look big & clunky and clutter up the face of the guitar. Don't care much got "no marker" fretboards, either, except for a fretless bass. Oh well - you can't please everyone.

On the other hand, the SG is my favorite shape. A classic black or heritage cherry on an SG... you can't go wrong with that!

A classic black or heritage cherry on an SG... you can't go wrong with that!

unless you do it with dog ear pickups and a blank fretboard apparently :D:D

the inspiration for this was very much a John Birch rather than gibson SG... very Tony Iommi but we didnt want the upside down crosses as inlays - just a nice expanse of ziracote. I think the dog ears are closer to that look than humbuckers would be - - - and if i am honest the whole guitar was built because these pickups existed - they are a completely one off set made by Tim at bare knuckle pickups

i think the visual balance of the guitar will be better once i have the reflector knobs on there -

ah god.

its a crime that u covered up that beautiful wood on the SG

i have to say though it still looks beatuiful

love the clean fretboard and any SG with P90s is just dripping with awesome

with the RPC though is it really taht easy to get a nice finish?

ive allways thoguth that it would be impossible with a brush

see, i tend to think that it would be more of a crime to build a guitar with inferior wood.... i built it as a through neck because it solves a lot of issues i have with the gibson design, thats what dictated a lot of the wood choices and i still have a large expanse of a very nice ziracote fretboard and birdseye maple binding for the wood perverts . . . i want to build to the same principles whether it is getting a solid colour or not!!!

anyway, glad you like it - RPC is easy to use with a brush but i do have to say this was done by my cousin who sprays for me. the thing about doing it with a brush is that it takes a lot more sanding flat... which generally means more chances of sanding through at the edges...... that would be very annoying with the hard bevels of an SG

I'm lovin' it! Seriously it much reminds me of the first guitar I ever had, except well this one is nice and mine wasn't. I actually really dig the pups and bridge combo, not to mention ziricote, you can never go wrong using that wood. I had a similar idea on the nice figured bubinga fretboard I'm using, I wanted some inlays, but really didn't want to cover up the wood, so I went with some tiny ones, though maybe bare would have been a better choice. How do you like that bridge, I had stared at that one when shopping for a bridge for a long time. I think it looks great, though somewhat reminds me of the grill of a mac truck somehow. Anyhow, just curious on what you think of it? Again, I think this is a killer project, very nice stuff Wez!!!! J

Cool, yeah I have a different wraparound that I'm using and am about to order the tone pros locking studs, didn't have the cash at the time I got the bridge, but knew I would before needing to drill the holes. I wish all bridges had that locking feature, it seems like such a good concept. Anyhow, cool build and am looking forward to some more pics! J

1 gibson issue i have partially solved is the balance

that was always going to be a problem on this SG because it is a longer scale with more frets than a gibson - it also has heavy grover tuners which dont help matters particularly... i suppose the light weight body woods dont help either

yeah, so its little neck heavy when seated but here it is on a strap

mirror.jpg

i wouldnt say the balance was perfect, but its definately better than most Gibson's i have tried

the main fix was that we went for a recessed dunlop strap lock hidden behind the top horn

th_strapback.jpg

without a strap its not visable from the front

th_strapfront.jpg

I see Wez :D

I like the look of the finished product. The white dogears look out of place, definitely, but it's that strange quirky kind of way that works.

Typical wiring scheme, I assume? And you said those were custom....... warpigs? IIRC, and I could be completely off here.

In either case, let us know if you get audio clips up.

the pickups are not part of Tims standard range - infact i dont think they normally offer nickel plated dog ear covers. They were made for the guy thats having this guitar and i think he asked tim for a pickup that sounded like the old john birch ones - its pretty much a standard vintage p-90 wind but i think the magnets are Alnico V instead

... big clunky and clutterered hardware is really what the old john birch sg's are all about - but i decided to keep the controls like a gibson rather than have twenty knobs!!

• 2 weeks later...

nah, dont want to GOTM this one... rather save the really special stuff for that. the things that make this guitar good (better than a gibson designed SG) are small design features i wanted to try, not things that make it stand out as a GOTM

now, if this is liked by its new owner we might be starting something more worthy of GOTM - currently discussing double necks!!