Madagascar Rosewood/adirondack Spruce Electric

This is the latest to come out of the new shop (which is coming along nicely btw). The guitar was originally an experiment to see what we would get if we used traditional acoustic woods in a new way with an electric instrument. Using a piece of Madagascar rosewood for the neck, fingerboard, bridge, and tailpiece that left the spruce for the body. Since this was to be an oil finished instrument we decided to put a veneer of something harder on the back and sides for protection hence the Claro walnut. The body is 1-1/2" thick and has 3/4" chambers from the back with a solid 4" wide center section. The top is carved to 1/4" over the chambers. The spruce is a bit heavier than I expected it be but overall the guitar is much lighter than it looks (the lack of soundholes has something to do with it). The tone is very clear and articulate with a definite bark to it. The dense neck material attached to the lighter weight body makes for some excellent resonance and sustain. You can hear the full harmonic spectrum of the notes with this one. And thanks to the Lollar pickups it all makes it to the amp. This was a really cool project and I will be making some more using these concepts (lightweight body/heavy neck). It really works well.

Here's a pic:

14.jpg

For more pics click here.

~David

Wow, nice work as usual, David! :D

And I like the new avatar... :D

Thanks! So when are you coming for a shop visit? We are having an opening in the building where I have my new shop on Saturday, December 8th. There are 28 studios here with a variety of artists and mediums. I should have at least 4 guitars finished for the show. You should stop by.

~David

BTW how does it balance ?? Is it neck heavy ?? Eventually I'd like to build something with approx that form factor and also semihollow, but thought that a rosewood neck would be too heavy for the project.

Like everything it depends on a number of aspects of the design you are working. The weight of the wood is a big factor but also the placement of the horns, how much it is hollowed, how many frets (how far the neck extends past the body) all make a difference. The weight of the spruce body on this one was still pretty significant at 14-1/2" wide and 2-1/4" thick. Rosewood necks are said to be very heavy but most of my rosewood stock is no heavier than maple and some choice pieces are as light as mahogany. Just be careful which piece you use. Cocobolo is the only rosewood that seems to always be heavy and dense (qualities that make this wood an excellent choice for a neck) but I still use it all the time without problems. It is all in the balance of elements in your design and the specific of the materials you are using.

Hardware choices are also important. Remember that you will have pickup weight that will add to the body weight. Also try using lighter tuners like Sperzels, Waverly, or the Locking Hipshots. These are all lighter than most standard electric guitar tuners.

~David

• 2 weeks later...
Can you post some sound samples of it?

This was a commissioned project and I do not have the guitar anymore. If my client gets some sound clips recorded I will be sure to post them.

How do you cut the control cavity from the body so cleanly and match it perfectly to it's surrounding wood?

This body is solid spruce with a 3/32" veneer of walnut. I cut the control cavity by drilling a small hole and inserting a scroll saw blade through it. I then carefully cut the perimeter of the cavity out of the back veneer. The cavity and cover were then routed to shape with my standard router templates. It is a tedious process to make sure that the cut is exactly on the line so that the router cleans the edge perfectly but the end result is worth it.

~David