Zeta-style "biohazard" Eight-string

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how it looks for the whole piece. The pickups are going to have either yellow bobbins or black/yellow zebra bobbins, so that may be enough to tie up the general look. Extending it back with what are in effect quite "traditional" and "conservative" styled pickups rings might look out of place. Anyway - if I do use them, I need to do some filling with black CA as the inlay pieces have gaps around them.

They look sharp so far, bro. I'd certainly use them.

Howzabout this... use black bobbins, but paint the pole tips golden? Then wrap these rings around them.

Also, another idea I've seen on other products. Make a mold in the shape of a pickup ring. Mix up two batches of epoxy resin. Color one golden, color one solid black. Pour both resins together into the mold, creating a marble-ized black-yellow mix that swirls like a bowling ball's finish.

???

Again - i'm not going to change the course of this build at this stage. I'd throw ideas like that around in the planning stage, but I think changing course halfway through is a bad habit. I'm of the opinion that you should design everything out possible before starting a build, and staying true to course throughout.

Interesting idea though. I've already thought of playing around with moulding at some point, but I won't blurt my ideas right now.

Do you have access to milling or CNC gear? Cuz a block of UHMW (Ultra-high molecular weight) polyurethane and a ball-nose router bit, and you could make a smooth casting mold in no time.

Sorry.... you're from the UK.

MOULD.

:D

The idea came to me as I was just looking through guitar bodies with different swirl paintjobs. My brother wants to try to dip a guitar, and the current idea is seeing how a flourescent orange would work with a deep red and a dark gray, almost black. Then I thought, "Why the heck can't you make plastic parts this way, but using colored epoxies and swirling them shortly in a bowl?

As you can tell, I've got lots of ideas. You'll find they're all HORRIBLE ideas, heh heh heh! Can you say, diamond-plated aluminum fretboard? \m/ \m/

• 8 months later...

Ahaa so this is the Biohazard 8 string you mentioned previously! :D

Have you got the Swinehead pickups yet? More importantly if you have have you tried them out yet?

I've been talking with Tim at Bareknuckle Pickups about there 8 string versions for my 8 string build - which I am going to order in place of the custom SDs I was thinking. However got to wait on the t-o-m sample to check it out before I buy them due to my string spacing requirements.

The build is looking very nice - look forward to seeing the finished article! :D

Yeah, I was disappointed with the amount of levelling I had to do with the Rustins Plastic Coating. Meh. The Swinesheads don't look very professional (at least, in this case) as the yellow bobbins look well, Perspex-y and unfinished. I'll have to sand them and round the edges out :-\

I'll go Bareknuckle next time, and wish I had this time....except I wanted the yellow bobbins....

• 2 months later...

Bump!

Just out of interest: where did you get the fingerboard? Was it an off-the-shelf blank? What width is it where the neck ends? (I have a fingerboard blank I'm considering using for an 8 string, but I don't know if it's wide enough at that end!! I can't seem to find out the string spacing of a Hipshot 8-string bridge, or I would draw up a mockup to work out the necessary 'board width.)

Thanks,

DJ

Oh, you mean this table! :D

It's veneered curly maple effect, unfortunately.

zeta8_18.jpg

That also reminds me....I used a different tuner - at least in terms of how it keys to the body - for the fourth string so I could pull off the straight string pull and hardware population....don't think I ever mentioned that....

Edited by Prostheta