Routers

Does that actually exist? Good router edge dust collection, I mean. It's hardly got to do with budget or non-budget routers. Porter cable makes some dust collection add-on kits, I think, but otherwise you may be best off setting up a nice big collection hood attached to a decently powered dust collector (not a shopvac, a dust collector).

I just got a new Triton which is a top of the line router and it throws chips just like my Ryobi router does. That’s just the nature of the beast. After routing the edge profile and cavities for a guitar I have to take an hour to clean up the shop.

A collection hood would help if you could keep it below your project, off to the side and in the path of the exiting chips but likely it would take your focus off your work, become a pain and then the next thing you know you have a nice gouge where your upper horn should have been!

When it comes to routers, I give it 100% of my attention all the time. Router’s and jointers. Both tools not to mess around with!

I'm using a hood and stopping and turning my work every little bit.It works okay,but I'm just looking for a faster way.

Funny thing is that I'm thinking a bandsaw will keep my router dust down because I cut my bodies quite proud with a jigsaw.So there's a lot of stock to route off.

You know I was thinking about this. I rather like the “router shavings shower” that I get when blasting through a nice set of cavities. It’s sort of an accomplishment to see how many chips you can fill your ship with. Besudes that, if my ships were going into a dust collector or a shopvac it would be harder to amass the collection of wood chips and dust that I have over the years. I like to keep them to fill in voids or chip outs.

You know what I really think routers need. Built in lights that light up the area you are routing. My shop doesn’t have the best lighting so I have to position a flash light so I can see inside the cavity I’m routing. I don’t know if they make attachments for lights on a router but I haven’t seen anything.

Hmmm, sounds like a little R&D is in order.

I've recently been thinking about building a downdraft table to use when sand, routing, sawing or pretty much anything else that allows chips or dust onto the floor. The area that I seem to have the most trouble with chips though is when routing out cavities. Even if I drill out the majority, the cavity still fills with chips and the router is set deep enough that the chips can not be thrown out of the cavity. I have been trying to find an attachment that works as a sub-base that you can hook a hose to.

Lights are a nice feature but rare. Dust collection is only available on the router guides used for cutting straight lines. and is usless for most operations in luthiery. I thnk you are just going to have to suffer as most people do with limited dust collection capability. If the collection point is on top of the base it will block your view of the workpiece.

A router table can help some what.

I have been thinking of a downdraft table also but I am not sure it would collect chips only the fine dust thrown up by the router.

Another option is to have a friend or relative help you by holding a large 4" dust collection hose while you do your work. Not an option for me.

Lights are a nice feature but rare. Dust collection is only available on the router guides used for cutting straight lines. and is usless for most operations in luthiery.

Hi Woodenspoke, that's true for collectors on the guide. It's probably not easy to see in the link I posted above but you can get dust collectors that sit on top of the router base and encircle the bit. These do not interfere with routing in curves at all so they can be used for all routing jobs on guitars, and they work great. Not a speck of dust anywhere except in the vacuum bag. I'll take a picture in the next few days and post it. :D

Lights are a nice feature but rare. Dust collection is only available on the router guides used for cutting straight lines. and is usless for most operations in luthiery.

Hi Woodenspoke, that's true for collectors on the guide. It's probably not easy to see in the link I posted above but you can get dust collectors that sit on top of the router base and encircle the bit. These do not interfere with routing in curves at all so they can be used for all routing jobs on guitars, and they work great. Not a speck of dust anywhere except in the vacuum bag. I'll take a picture in the next few days and post it. :D

I see the picture and it does not look like it interferes with your view. If you have a manufacturers link it would be nice. I am always interested in keeping dust at bay.

I see the picture and it does not look like it interferes with your view. If you have a manufacturers link it would be nice. I am always interested in keeping dust at bay.

G'Day Woodenspoke, I have a Bosch POF 400 A which is now superceded, you are absolutely right it does not interfere with your view, check out the new model

frezarki-gornowrzecionowe-bosch-pof-1300-ace-p25231.jpg

here

:D

Edited by Muzz

G'Day Woodenspoke, I have a Bosch POF 400 A which is now superceded, you are absolutely right it does not interfere with your view, check out the new model

frezarki-gornowrzecionowe-bosch-pof-1300-ace-p25231.jpg

here

:D

I was hoping it was an aftermarket attachment. Its fine if you need a new router but it does not help someone like me who will be looking for a new router in like 20 years.

I was hoping it was an aftermarket attachment. Its fine if you need a new router but it does not help someone like me who will be looking for a new router in like 20 years.

Show that router who is boss :D You do not want to be cleaning up after it for the next 20 years :D.

Here is a pic of the attachment that will take your dust woes away. Should be easy to knock up something like it with some Perspex and PVC pipe.

8b970rb.jpg

Hope this has illuminated the way for you on the righteous path to routing Nirvana. I’m outy B).

Edited by Muzz

Show that router who is boss :D You do not want to be cleaning up after it for the next 20 years :D .

Here is a pic of the attachment that will take your dust woes away. Should be easy to knock up something like it with some Perspex and PVC pipe.

8b970rb.jpg

Hope this has illuminated the way for you on the righteous path to routing Nirvana. I'm outy B) .

Thanks for the picture but I think it would be easier to Duct tap a hose to the body. Now here is an area for someone to make some money. Develop a universal Vac adapter for most routers.

Edited by Woodenspoke