Need Some Advice/help

~davie

A while back I bought an unfinished body and filled grained but it didn't work that well, I think I thinned the grain filler too much (shouldn't have thinned it at all, but the instructions said so).

Then I proceeded to spray colour paint, and afterwards the grains like sticking out. What should do I? I thought about wiping on clear and leveling it out, but i doubt that's gonna fix it. I also thought about adding on more paint to the parts with grain showing, but that's like hard to do with a spray, the store doesn't have the brushing version either and I might run into trouble sanding it flat.

Should I just sand down the paint a bit and repaint it? or should I sand it down completely and try to fill the grain. And also I didn't use any kind of sealer or sanding sealer, should I have? Where would I get some?

A while back I bought an unfinished body and filled grained but it didn't work that well, I think I thinned the grain filler too much (shouldn't have thinned it at all, but the instructions said so).

Then I proceeded to spray colour paint, and afterwards the grains like sticking out. What should do I? I thought about wiping on clear and leveling it out, but i doubt that's gonna fix it. I also thought about adding on more paint to the parts with grain showing, but that's like hard to do with a spray, the store doesn't have the brushing version either and I might run into trouble sanding it flat.

Should I just sand down the paint a bit and repaint it? or should I sand it down completely and try to fill the grain. And also I didn't use any kind of sealer or sanding sealer, should I have? Where would I get some?

i would say yes, you should have used sanding sealer. what kind of paint and clear are you using? if you are using sprayable clear, you can probably spray a really thick layer and then knock it down to level, but that would take a long time. but most likley you are going to hear " sand it down and re do it".

Ash can be kind of a pain.

You may think the existing paint will seal it, usually it wont for me it either lifts out or I sand through. Paint is just to soft for grain filling.

If you can level sand it you can then procede to level it with future coats.

I would sand and start with a sealer and then high build primer.

Ash and a solid color coat, I would recommend sanding it mostly back down, and using 2-part epoxy from Home Depot thinned a bit.

It will dry brick hard, it will fill in your pores, and it will give you an excellent sandable flat surface on which to apply your color coats.

I usually sand my epoxy to 400 before applying any sort of color coat to reduce any deep scratches from the sandpaper to help your color coat look smooth.