Where Can I Find...

It's virtually impossible to do this just within a pot, John. Digitally, it's a no-brainer because the knob can be a continuous encoder. But a pot is locked to a physical location.

I could scheme up all kinds of mad ways that it COULD be done for someone willing to create such a pot (and have done so in a previous thread) but as far as I know, there is no readily-available pot out there that actually does this. If that's the case, you'd have to try to scour or create a digital option, which to me seems very fussy when a cocentric pot will do the job just as well.

definately look at concentric pots instead. they dont look like a single pot the way what you described would but they are easily available and give you vol and tone in a single pot location.

If you really wanted a push/pull pot it would have to be a tone preset switch rather than a variable tone. i.e. normal volume operation on the pot but a cap is added to the circuit when you pull the pot up. you would need to experiment with the best cap for the job that still gave you a usabe sound since it would go from tone on 10 to tone on 0 when you engaged the switch

Lots of people do. :D But that's not what the OP had in mind. I DO think it's the best option, though.

Oh yeah, push pull pot type thing, never heard of that.

Ok, so they don't make it. I can see it in my head though, a shaft that goes through both pots, with knerled (sp?) spots, so when you push it down, it engages the bottom pot, when you pull it up, it engages the upper. Is't smooth when it's not engaed, so when it leaves the one you are not selecting where it was. Seems simple in my head. Probably too expensive to manufacture, but it would be great for tone/volume. Pull the swich out to adjust the tone, normal position for the volume. Once you set the tone it stays where you left it.

Now only if I had the money to manufacture a few hundred thousand and talk gibson into putting them in their production line. Two less holes to route, simpler profile. Cleaner looking.

Many santa will get his elves to build me a few and drop them in my stocking. Santa can do anything!

-John

Yeah, it's the "remember where the knob was" for each pot that probably made it too expensive to make as a commonly-available part. Someone somewhere may have done it, but I've not personally heard of such a beast.

unless ive misunderstood, dont they make pots that are stacked; but they are one ontop of each other as oppose to toggling between 2 on 1 shaft?

its a pot that has a stub on the top and a ring right under it that each have individual operations?

it may of been a dream, but what a dream!

im gonna look for them.

Yeah, they're called "concentric pots" as mentioned by a couple of the previous posters. You can get them at most e-tailers of guitar parts.

CMA

unless ive misunderstood, dont they make pots that are stacked; but they are one ontop of each other as oppose to toggling between 2 on 1 shaft?

its a pot that has a stub on the top and a ring right under it that each have individual operations?

it may of been a dream, but what a dream!

im gonna look for them.

Yeah, they're called "concentric pots" as mentioned by a couple of the previous posters. You can get them at most e-tailers of guitar parts.

CMA

ya i figured these 'technical' terms were far over my head;

thanks CMA

• 1 month later...

All, I found something interesting, I'm not quite sure how it works, but in stu-mac trade secrets book 2 page 155 (Wiring 101) on the left side of the page there is a picture of a push pull pot, that is wired for volume on the push and tone on the pull. I don't know the limitations, but this was what I was asking about. Does anyone have this book that would understand what it's doing? It looks like the pot is being swiched in and out, but if that is the case, you would be able to use either volume or tone, not both, so whatever you are adjusting is full blast.. Anyway, it's interesting can someone figure out what they are doing and enlighten us?

-John

This is not my drawing, it comes from the Squier 51 modders forum:

Linkerocity

Looks like it's what you want.

Thanks for the drawing, if I'm reading that right, that picture adjusts the tone and the volume at the same time. Two pots, with tone on one and volume on the other. The drawing in the stu mac book is one pot, with a push pull switch.

Can I put a picture of that drawing up here or is that copyrite infringement? It's for learning purposes, educational..

-John

If you look at a drawing of a push pull.

You have the pot on top

and 6 contacts below.

3 2 1

9 6

8 5

7 4

3 - Ground From Pickup or Selector Switch

3 - to 8

9 - cap .020 to 7

7 - to ground on output jack

2 - to 6

2 - Hot from Pickup or selector switch

1 - to 4

5 - to output jack

Tone pull, Volume Push

This represents a volume/tone control. In the down switch position the pot is a volume control, in the up position it's a tone control.

But what happens to the tone if you are using it in the volume position, and the volumne if you are using tone? Wide open?

Thanks for the drawing, if I'm reading that right, that picture adjusts the tone and the volume at the same time. Two pots, with tone on one and volume on the other. The drawing in the stu mac book is one pot, with a push pull switch.

No, it's a push-pull pot (from the Squier 51...it's normally used for splitting the humbucker, but this guy's mod makes the upper position a tone control, since the 51 doesn't have that)