Used Kasha-schneider Plans For Free

I am setting up a small friendly X-mas competition. I have a set of used Kasha-Schneider plans that I have used and don’t need any more and really would like to see being used. It is the LMII set with the offset sound hole. I now offer to send them for free to the one that gives me the best motivation: So why should I send it to you?

Don’t PM me. Place your motivation here. This will be a fun, friendly competition in argumentation skills. The competition ends at the first of January and the winner will be announced here.

Edited by SwedishLuthier

Actually if no one else had their hopes set on them I'd be more than grateful to have them, I know someone who plays *very* well who I could give the guitar to that could do it justice. :D

So to play along with this thread, here is my reason, because I'd build the guitar for experience than give it away.

Although the plans are for a classical they can also be used as an inspiration for a steel string guitar. This was built with those plans as a starting point.

OK, so this far Daniel is number one with Chris as number two (I wish I had more of them guys). Anyone else?

BTW: I think that the Kasha-Schneider system would be very interesting in a terz guitar. It would probably benefit quite a lot from the extra output. I have seen the KS bracing ideas used for a few smaller bodied instruments as ukuleles, mandolins and bouzoukis.

I think you should give them to me, because I'm deeply skeptical about the whole rationale behind the Kasha thing, but at the same time find myself intruiged by the concept, the idea, and the aesthetic. I'm a scientist at heart, and although I look for other things (art, craft) in lutherie, a spot of science (Chaldni patterns, deflection testing) are creeping into my building, by and by.

I've got plans for a classical guitar (or two) at some point in the near-ish future, so I figure I might go build a pair from consecutive cuts of the same boards, and see what I think of the end-results, and more importantly, what my former guitar teacher (classically trained Jazz guitarist, plays nylon strings) thinks of the two instruments. He owns a Segovia model Ramirez, gorgeous guitar, so I've got something to compete with there!

Overall, I'd really appreciate the opportunity to closely examine a set of plans for this quirky variation on bracing, coupled with the information gleaned from the various Big Red Book publications, and see what comes out.

Besides, plans look pretty on my wall.

I will admit that Stockholm is far superior to Gothenburg

LOL :D You all should know that there is a traditional rivalry between Gothenburg (were Aidlook lives) and Stockholm, the capital of Sweden (were I live). For someone from Gothenburg to admit that is a very nice attempt of suckin up

Mattia: I actually thought about you when I set up this little competition, as I know how sceptical you are/have been towards the Kasha design

Keep em coming. It makes my decision much harder, and more fun

Edited by SwedishLuthier

OK, it’s first of January and decision time.

You guys have made it a bit hard for me. Some really good suggestions:

Chris, a terz classical with Kasha bracing would be a very interesting instrument.

Daniel, I’m sure you would build the guitar, and do it very well, and give it away to someone that could really appreciate it.

Aidlook, to se/hear someone from Gothenburg admit that Stockholm is superior is a very good reason for me to send the plans to you. And if you would use them for a build it would be great.

But somehow Mattia’s reasons seem to be the most well thought out. And I think that if you would go through with the plans of building two more or less identical guitars, except for the bracings, it would be very interesting to hear the outcome of that comparison.

So the big winner has to be… (drum roll)… Mattia.

PM me you address and I will send the plans to you. And if you really go ahead with your side by side build, please let us know how it works out.

Sweet! It'll likely be two or three years before any side by side type instrument is completed (mostly because I don't have a lot of time to build, and have other projects to complete first), but I will certainly report back.

GoodWood: I've played around a little with 'junk I have lying around', but I'll basically be using a computer-based signal generator, and running the input into a car power amp and small speaker to drive everything, because they're easy enough to get on the cheap, and I don't really have a cheap and nasty stereo lying around that's appropriate for use. I'll post pics when I reach the 'chaldni pattern' part of my current acoustic build. There's a fair amount of info on the technique in the MIMF.com library and a number of the GAL Big Red Books (volume 3 in particular, IIRC).