Cabinet Building, Opinions Sought.

ByronBlack

Fella's

Just a quick query this time. I've recently acquired a heavily modded epi valve jr head (seriously rocks) but the guy I bought it from supplied a real crappy shoebox with a decent speaker in it as use for a cab, it obviously sounds quite poo and is too tiny for the head to sit upon, so I intend to build a larger cabinet to house a pair of speakers (Celestion Vintage 30 10").

I intend to have the speakers arranged one above the other instead of side-by-side, this will allow the cab to be higher, as I wish to have the head at chest height rather than low near the floor. Will I suffer in terms of sound quality due to the arrangement of the speakers this way (I've searched around the net and haven't found any info on this specific query) ?

I use my mesa widebody 1x12 vertically with my 6v6 valve jr on it, no problems. I always have used my 2x12's that way too or my mesa nomad 1x12 on top of my mesa 1x12.

Vertical or horizontal my cabs sound the same.

Recenly I have gotten more into tilting back the speaker, I can hear my better and can reduce my stage volume making other people happier. Whinners.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! Drak - you make a great suggestion, it's an option, but I was also thinking of having an area above the speakers where I was going to mount some circuits for various effects, but i'll think on your suggestion.

Syxxstring, I was considering making the cab slightly angled to give a little more clarity..

One last question. Is there a marked difference between using 2x10's or 2x12's? (The cab that came with the head already has a vintage 30 10" hence my reasoning for 10's).

Cheers chaps!

I like kick back legs because it's easier to build and gives you more cabinet air volume.

2x12's will give you more volume and a different frequency response than 2x10's. I'm pondering a 10 and 12 or 8 and 10 in a cab, or all 3. Depending on wiring you could generate a lot of choices that way. I'm also interested in experimenting with passive radiators on a guitar cab, if only i had more time and money.