24.5" Scale Length?

ok, i just got a neck thru blank made for me, it was supposed to be 24.75" scale length. i got it on monday, today i measured for the scale length to mock up my bridge and from the nut to the 12th fret im getting 12.25" or 12 1/4" this wont be a problem as long as my bridge is in the correct spot right (12.25" from the 12th fret)? ill just have a little shorter scale?thanks.

ok, i just got a neck thru blank made for me, it was supposed to be 24.75" scale length. i got it on monday, today i measured for the scale length to mock up my bridge and from the nut to the 12th fret im getting 12.25" or 12 1/4" this wont be a problem as long as my bridge is in the correct spot right (12.25" from the 12th fret)? ill just have a little shorter scale?thanks.

Should'nt be a problem?

Use the Stewmac calculator to determine your bridge placement.

Link

Hope this helps,

Mike

thanks a bunch mike, that was very helpful, i need to keep that in mind, but as far as the neck i think im going to try to return it and get my money back because i told him i wanted 24.75 and i dont know if i like the idea of a 24.5 scale guitar very much haha.

You realise Gibson's 24.75" advertised scale is actually either 24-5/8", 24-9/16"(most common and probably what you have), or actual 24.75" (produced very early on, but seldom used anymore). You can refer to stew macs information pages to find out more details on the when they used what actual length, all were advertised as 24.75"). Just thought I would pass that on in case you did not know, and there is a good chance that the builder made you what is commonly called 24.75"(Gibsons at least).

Peace,Rich

ahh ok, thanks. my other problem is that the wood after the fret board is a little to short to make an explorer so i might let my bro use it for an upcoming project, and ill be on the hunt again for a neck blank. there was a website someone posted a link to, they did customs set necks and neck thru designs, they seemed really nice but i cant find the link anywhere.

ahh ok, thanks. my other problem is that the wood after the fret board is a little to short to make an explorer so i might let my bro use it for an upcoming project, and ill be on the hunt again for a neck blank. there was a website someone posted a link to, they did customs set necks and neck thru designs, they seemed really nice but i cant find the link anywhere.

Look up Doug at Soulmate link

TRy Doug at soulmateguitars.com

Doug is a member here at PG

link

mk

Try this site www.soulmateguitars.com

Look up Doug at Soulmate link

Well Rich you beat me to it LOL:) must have been in REPLY mode at the same time. I just type SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!

:D

MK

One question that I haven't seen asked is, what is the length from the front edge of the nut to the 12th fret. You say that the 12th fret to the bridge is 12.25", but usually you adjust your bridge location to meet the scale length of the neck. You can place the bridge up against the edge of the neck and say that it is 6" from the 12th fret and the scale is 12" while the nut to the 12th fret is 12.375". First thing I would do is make sure it is the same length from the nut to the 12th fret and the 12th fret to the bridge.

One question that I haven't seen asked is, what is the length from the front edge of the nut to the 12th fret. You say that the 12th fret to the bridge is 12.25", but usually you adjust your bridge location to meet the scale length of the neck. You can place the bridge up against the edge of the neck and say that it is 6" from the 12th fret and the scale is 12" while the nut to the 12th fret is 12.375". First thing I would do is make sure it is the same length from the nut to the 12th fret and the 12th fret to the bridge.

>snip<, today i measured for the scale length to mock up my bridge and from the nut to the 12th fret im getting 12.25" or 12 1/4" >snip<

I think he covered that. :D

MK

Stewmac and Carvin sells neck-thru blanks. They are 25" scale. Good quality, probably not as good as custom made necks like Doug. You should have enough wood to build an Explorer.

I built my first neck-thru with a Carvin blank.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,...uitar_Neck.html

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/sing...php?product=NT6