Extended Range Guitars - Scales And Strings!

Prostheta

Extended range guitar spec choices  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay - i'm tooling up to produce a bunch of seven and eight string instruments this summer. If you were in the market to buy these instruments, what features in terms of strings and scales would you like to see available? I think that it's a foregone conclusion that 25.5" scales and shorter really do have problems with intonation and having to use higher gauge strings, so these are purely extended scale instruments.

When answering, please don't come from the GAS angle. Come from the angle of practicality, economy (I don't want to tool up for too many different "standards") and playability from the end-user. Don't compare to sixes as this is outside of the scope of this poll. This is purely down to what is described here. If you're not hot on seven/eight string instruments, then try and be constructive rather than obstructive! Thanks - this is to help me get a better feel for what a client base desires from these niche instruments.

Okay - i'm tooling up to produce a bunch of seven and eight string instruments ... try and be constructive ... this is to help me get a better feel for what a client base desires from these niche instruments.

From someone who makes a living building guitars, and has tried to 'gauge' opinions on numerous occasions...

You are going to get a bunch of people simply 'agree' with you, not actually give a decent thought out answer. These same people are the ones who wont buy a custom guitar anyway. The question you are REALLY asking here, is:

"IF you were going to buy an eight string guitar thats really out there and different, would you want something else really custom and different, being an extended scale? Im saying you need one, because i reckon bla bla, so by disagreeing it's going to make you look like you dont know what you are talking about. So, just click a box anyway, because its the web and we like to feel we are involved. Those randomly clicked boxes are then going to shape my business, woo hoo!! Lets all get involved and build a guitar making business, yeah!"

Their opinions are not worth anything, because they are NOT potential clients. They are not thinking it through, and they ARENT laying cash on the line.

The people you need to ask, are those who are ABOUT TO PURCHASE (or already have). No-one elses opinion matters in this circumstance. No one else is attached to you financially. No one has put the effort into research. No one is willing to back their opinion with hard earned dollars.

These are very similar views, as to why taking your early instruments into guitar stores, or to friends, is not a good idea. They don't give you honest 'buyers' perspectives, just lots of back slapping and high fives. People tend to take the easy way out... its easier to say "great job mate!" and have you think you're doing a good job, then it is to say "I think you need to work some more on your fretwork, this is terrible, you cant possibly sell instruments until you sort this out".

Of course, you can choose to disregard my advice. Thats then YOUR opinion :D

You're very right Perry. I chose the wrong forum to express curiosity in a decision I have already made. I could only expect a flurry of responses to buff me up and say "yeah, go for it" or "w00t" or "awesome" and other empty pseudo-superlative.

Thanks for cutting to the chase here - this is Occam's razor in action....can we lock or delete this thread please? Thanks.

yeah, perry is right on this one... although obviosuly we all want to know exaclty what you deicde to do and we want to see the jigs and any progress as always!!!

i sometimes ask similar 'is this a good idea/would you buy?' questions over at forums that include more of my target market - but even so the things perry says are correct.. it still means very little till someone lays their cash on the line!!

I really can't offer a valid opinion other than I completely agree that anything around standard guitar scale just doesn't cut it for the F# and B strings on guitar. I wish I could offer more advice, but it seems you're already off in the right direction from personal experience.