wood

Hi UltraMan,

That depends on what kind of wood, and what quality of wood you want.

So I would suggest starting at the end: What do you want to end up with? A Les Paul style, a Tele style, something else? And by style, I mean tone as much as outline. And what kind of finish? Painted? Stained/dyed?

The answer to those questions will tell you what you need to spend to accomplish your goal.

Guitar Ed

Advice worth what you paid for it. Nothing.

All depends on what kind of wood you get.

Poplar for 1 guitar about $15

Western hard Maple for 1 about $20

Exotics $20 to $200 or more

Maple for a neck will run about $15-$20, mahogany or exotics more to much more.

Fretboard wood for about $10-$20

If it's your first I'd recommend you start with the lower priced woods and get some experience before dropping big money on exotics. If you do go with exotics be aware that some of the dusts are toxic.

These are based on prices I pay in the midwest, I don't know how much wood goes for in ibawhat? :D

if you buy everything raw it can't be more then 60-80$ although you might want to have the place plane "& joint it

try looking localy first in the phone book under hardwoods, specialty hardwoods, exotic hardwoods, import harwoods, anything like that, you'll save your self on shipping, and you get to hand pick your wood.

Jem's are basswood, it's really soft and easy to work, but it also dents easy, and the sawdust is kinda extra not good for you. that said you should always be wearing a dust mask as a precaution. alder or poplar are 2 light and inexpensive choises that are tonaly nice. then your standard rock hard maple neck, and rosewood / maple / or ebony fingerboard.

has anyone tried yellow pine as a guitar body wood? or heard of this. i have a big slab of it here and was thinkin of makin a strat out of it. its pretty dense, and harder than quite a few hardwoods!

mike