Has Anyone Done A Flake Finish?

using flake, like you would for a car? I wanna do a finish like this, but I'm not sure what to use for the clear coat. I"m too poor to buy automotive urethane, and I heard that deft lacquer doesn't work well of flake. would poly work? I"m going for a high gloss finish, but I can live with the lower gloss of poly. what size flake would I want to use, .025? I'd be applying it like this: http://pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=195802 so sprayability of the flake isn't important. should I use more than one size as well, or just use one?

You realize real flake that's solvent proof ain't cheap either right?

Basically the method you are planning on using is similar to what old school flake does. It relies on the material you are applying the flake to is still wet, so a polly should work since they take a long time to dry.

The only way I've done it using the stuff from Auto Air. I bought a large supply of Auto Air that it came with flake mixed in ready to spray.

The kustom shop stuff is solvent proof as it's made to work with automotive paints.

You can do flake with out a spray gun, just takes thought and testing.

One of the most popular way to do flakes these days is the flake buster gun from Old School Flake. It is a process where you dry spray flake into fresh clear. Do a google search there's tons of info.

I dont know about brushing on a solid base, I have 5 guns and a few airbrushes so I keep going that way.

Edited by syxxstring

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflake.aspx

is that solvent proof? and what paint should I use for a base coat? I'd like to stick with a brush on finish (the poly and the paint) so I don't have to fork over the money for an HVLP sprayer and buy paint and flake.

There is no way you can do a brush on finish with flake. The first rule of any metallics is that you do nto touch it with anything until it is buried under several coats of clear, and the larger the flake the more coats it takes to bury them. If you brush on a finish it will knock over all of the flakes and you will get a dull splotchy result.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflake.aspx

is that solvent proof? and what paint should I use for a base coat? I'd like to stick with a brush on finish (the poly and the paint) so I don't have to fork over the money for an HVLP sprayer and buy paint and flake.

There is no way you can do a brush on finish with flake. The first rule of any metallics is that you do nto touch it with anything until it is buried under several coats of clear, and the larger the flake the more coats it takes to bury them. If you brush on a finish it will knock over all of the flakes and you will get a dull splotchy result.

okay, the cost of flake, poly, paint and a sprayer is over budget, so I guess I'll just have to find a different finish I like.

I painted this guitar using Deft aresol lacquer and some flake stuff I bought from a hobby store.

I would lay on a wet coat and sprinkle the sparkles on, and repeat a few times. It took a LOT of clear and sanding to finally get it level. Because of the way I did it I new that it would be hard to do the whole guitar so I did a fake binding and just did the top.

Natural.jpg