Cant Think Straight, Need Help On How To Do A Neck Like This

in this topic http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=33152&st=0

perry does a rosewood neck. in post # 2 and on the second page, it shows the neck. but for some reason i cant figure out how to the the scarf way behind the nut like perry and some other people do. when i scarf it and flip over the headstock piece, the joint is right behind the nut. anyone have any pics of how you get it around the 3-4 frets instead of right behind the nut? i cant comprehend something without pics or thorough explanation. thanks

http://public.fotki.com/xanthus/misc/scarfcuts.html

Hope my 5 minutes of work helps :D

Option 2 is what you're trying to do. It is a stronger joint and yields a longer neck/fretboard area at the expense of a shorter headstock, so cut accordingly.

but thats what i meant i have been doing. i want the scarf to show on the back of the headstock away from directly below the nut. that just puts the nut right above the scarf in the back

see: IMG_2878.jpg

the scarf is way below the nut.

but thats what i meant i have been doing. i want the scarf to show on the back of the headstock away from directly below the nut. that just puts the nut right above the scarf in the back

see: the scarf is way below the nut.

As it will be when you use the second method. Also, do what Setch said and use a thicker neck blank. When you cut the profile to final size, the scarf seam will move further and further down the neck. The extra material you take off the headstock must be from the back of the headstock (like Setch said) for it to work.

Untrue. If you use one-piece then you have the issue of grain runout with angled headstocks. The strongest neck possible would be the impractical combination of scarfing and single pieces laminated to the point of it being plywood! :-D

scarfhybrid.jpg

That would be plain crazy however. Little gain for too much work. In theory, sound. But theory isn't what's keeping the millions of operating scarfed headstocks out there in the world together. I digress.

Untrue. If you use one-piece then you have the issue of grain runout with angled headstocks. The strongest neck possible would be the impractical combination of scarfing and single pieces laminated to the point of it being plywood! :-D

scarfhybrid.jpg

That would be plain crazy however. Little gain for too much work. In theory, sound. But theory isn't what's keeping the millions of operating scarfed headstocks out there in the world together. I digress.

I made this neck almost exactly as per your picture, except that the 2 outer lams' were scarfed, but the opposite way from the centre lam. It's not much more work than a standard laminated neck, and it allowed me to squeeze two necks out of the blank.

scarfhybrid.jpg

I made this neck almost exactly as per your picture, except that the 2 outer lams' were scarfed, but the opposite way from the centre lam. It's not much more work than a standard laminated neck, and it allowed me to squeeze two necks out of the blank.

Practical and economical to the last eh Setch? Good call on the usage.

Actually, it was a bit of a brown-trousers moment - suddenly realised one of my sections of timber was about 1" too short to suit the normal scarf joint I use. After a few minutes of panic I realised that scarfing the other way required less length, and would be totally hidden by the back strap - result!