Wiring Question

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/img/t_wd_777.gif

I am using that schematic for my jem^^ I dont understand the knobs on the pickup selector because those are all 8 lined up beside eachother, mine does not look like that, so I don't know which knob to put the specified wires on. Can anybody explain?

my selector switch looks like this one... http://melodymusiconline.com/images/oakGrigsby5.jpeg

Ok, yes all 8 knobs are there but how do they relate... if you number from 1 to 8 in the diagram which ones are those on the real thing? which side do you start counting from?

I'm really stuck here, I need someone to help me out if possible to paintshop/photoshop in numbers from 1 to 8 on the diagram than the according numbers on the real switch picture.

I am having a terrible squealing issue on my Ibanez Jem, and from what i think/know now, most of the wires are correct but the wires going from the pickups to the volume pot are incorrect. Could that be the cause of the squealing? because all of the pickups have been sounding and working very well other than the non-normal amount of squealing at high gain. HELP!

Edited by Devon8822

I just found another diagram, which is the way it is currently wired... on this link it also says that the jem is wired like that, however in the link I gave earlier^, it says that that is the correct wiring... and its by Ibanez, HOW DO I KNOW WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT ONE?

new diagram:

http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/C.pdf

Also, I cannot figure out what is causing the squealing what can I do to figure it out?

Edited by Devon8822

Bump!

Maybe asking your question in the electronics section will generate a better response therefore no need to BUMP!!!

Just a suggestion :D

MK

Electrically speaking, both diagrams show the same wiring, it's just a different type of switch. The only thing missing in the DiMarzio diagram is the treble bypass cap on the volume pot (331 or 330pF in your first diagram), but that is all.

You switch seems to look like the one on the DiMarzio diagram, so you'd be safe if you stick to that one.

If you can't get an answer here, have it looked at by an electrician or a guitar tech. Make sure he has the wiring diagram. If that isn't an option for you, sometimes it's better to blow up & start over. If there's a huge wiring mess that you can't figure out, it might be easier to un-solder ALL the wires and just start over.

Bump!

Maybe asking your question in the electronics section will generate a better response therefore no need to BUMP!!!

Just a suggestion :D

MK

Electrically speaking, both diagrams show the same wiring, it's just a different type of switch. The only thing missing in the DiMarzio diagram is the treble bypass cap on the volume pot (331 or 330pF in your first diagram), but that is all.

You switch seems to look like the one on the DiMarzio diagram, so you'd be safe if you stick to that one.

What are you serious? I cannot see how the ibanez and the Dimarzio diagrams are in any way similar with the knobs on the selector... I see the colored wires in completely different places and I'm not drunk... They are wired completely different, i don't see how you say they are the same, could you explain?

Electrically speaking, both diagrams show the same wiring, it's just a different type of switch.

What are you serious? I cannot see how the ibanez and the Dimarzio diagrams are in any way similar with the knobs on the selector... I see the colored wires in completely different places and I'm not drunk... They are wired completely different, i don't see how you say they are the same, could you explain?

I am serious !! I never joke with my work, double-O seven !!

What you see is the difference between two kind of switches. The pictures below ("borrowed" from allparts.com) show both types, the plastic bodied on the left and the more traditional CRL style on the right.

Do you notice the numbering of the lugs on the plastic body of the left one ?? I added the equivalent numbers to the switch on the right.

StratSwitches.gif

If you now follow both diagrams you'll see they are exactly the same, electrically speaking: Strat switching options (N, N+M, M, M+B, :D on a H-S-H configuration, with the HBs in single-coil mode (split) on the in-between positions (2 and 4).

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

EDIT: There is an additional wiring difference, but it is electrically irrelevant. In the diagram by DiMarzio, the tone capacitor is connected between the center lug of the tone pot and the case, then the side lug of this pot goes to the volume control. The two tone pot lugs connections are reversed in the Jem diagram. Since in this application the tone pot is used just as a variable resistor, this reversal is irrelevant.