Amp Head Into A Combo Amp?

mrkil

hey guys a have a quick question.

is it possible for me to plug me valve jr head into my Princeton 112 combo?

the head has 3 outs on the back 4, 8, and 16 ohm

and the combo has a power amp in on the front.

just wondering if this is possible and which line out to use from the head.

thanks

Edited by mrkil

hey guys a have a quick question.

is it possible for me to plug me valve jr head into my Princeton 112 combo?

the head has 3 outs on the back 4, 8, and 16 ohm

and the combo has a power amp in on the front.

just wondering if this is possible and which line out to use from the head.

thanks

Those are not lineout output jacks. They are for direct to the speaker cab or speaker and related to the ohms rating of said cabinet or speaker. So, unless you want to destroy your Princeton I would NOT suggest connecting a cable from the any speaker outputs of your Jr to the input of your Princeton.

Just my .02 cents! :D

MK

Edited by MiKro

Search for mods, but really you'd need something like a THD Hot Plate or Weber Mass Attenuator.

If you don't have a load on the output transformer or a tube amp like the Valve Jr current builds up in the transformer and it blows up. Possibly entertaining but pricey. So you need something to take that load and drop it down to line level and provide the needed load on the output transformer.

Edited by syxxstring

if you want to just use the speaker then it would noit be a big deal. id just cut the wires going from the current output transformer to the speaker and put a jack and socket (the long tubular sockets, not the skeleton sockets used in guitars) and then unplug that from the amp and plug the other amp in. you would have to determine the right impedance on the speaker, but you can get the right value from measuring the dc resistance. if its close to 8 but not much higher, it is 8 (same things with the other values which are commonly 4 and 16).

if you do this make sure to put the socket connecting to the speaker, as opposed to the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...

As previously stated, never plug the speaker out of an amp into the input of another amp. You will destroy one, and likely both of them.

The easiest way to do what your trying to accomplish is to buy something like the THD hotplate or Weber MASS and turn it all the way down to linelevel. That will allow you to plug it into the input of another amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Black labb means you could bypass the combos amp and just use it as a cab. as long as the impedence matches.

Edited by joshvegas