Emg Question

killemall8

i hate these kind of schematics. with certain wiring diagrams, they show the capacitor going from the tone pot all the way to the volume. how is this even possible with most? there are harldy any configurations on guitars that have them close enough together. what do i do? i wired everything up according to a regular 1 vol 1 tone 3 way toggle, and i get nothing. is that the only way you can do it? i used the active guitarheads the same way, and that worked fine.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come on guys, i really need help here. ive never had trouble wiring like this before . and now i think there is something wrong with my amp as well. but i have no way of telling wich it is because i dont have a finished guitar, and only one amp. now the problem seems even wierder. all wired up, and you only hear feedback, even when it isnt plugged into the amp. but when i plug it in, it will only pickup the strings when my finger touches the output jack on a certain lug. it doesnt make sense to me. actives arnt meant to be grounded, so why is it doing this? i just cant figure it out.

Assuming you've tried the suggested diagrams here:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T1101

Yeah?

I know that EMG actives are not meant to be grounded. I have some guitars with them too, never had any trouble with the wiring though. I do have the tone capacitor going from the tone pot to the vol pot on at least one guitar.

I'm assuming you've got a stereo jack, and the correct pots for actives??

You gotta eliminate the suspect amp from the equation too I think.

This isn't much help.......sorry! :D

DJ

i hate these kind of schematics. with certain wiring diagrams, they show the capacitor going from the tone pot all the way to the volume. how is this even possible with most? there are harldy any configurations on guitars that have them close enough together.

They assume you will be wise enough to sold a wire on one leg of the capacitor :D

Just kiddin. Seriously, you definitely have a grounding problem. Why are you saying active pickups don't need to be grounded? They need to be grounded like any other electric components. A ground is a closed loop electric circuit. But I won't get into that...

Take a look at the following diagram. You'll notice that the pickups are grounded to the pot casing, and the jack is also grounded to the pot casing as well, thus creating a closed loop.

What's happening is that your finger touching the jack is actually closing the loop. That's why you're getting sound only when you touch a specific spot. YOU are the ground point, which is not good. Fortunately, a 9 volt battery is not very powerful. Each time your finger touch the jack, you're being electrocuted, and you're draining the battery a lot.

Like Holloman said, make sure you have a 25K pot, and a stereo jack. After, make sure you follow the diagram, and that wires don't touch each other. There is no way to tell what you did wrong. You didn't post picture. 1 vol, 1 tone, 3 way is a very standard diagram. And there is no way it shouldn't work if you followed the diagram. Unless, there is a physical problem with one of the components.

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiag...EMG-Hseries.pdf

Edited by MescaBug

too late. and i used that diagram. and it the input was the way it should be

Well, if you used either of those diagrams and it's still not working, check the quick-connects to make sure they're on the right way and take the guitar to a tech to figure out what's wrong. I've used those diagrams before and I can assure you that they are correct.

It sounds like you don't have the tools or experience to diagnose what you're doing wrong, so this is one of those times to hand it over to someone who does.

too late. and i used that diagram. and it the input was the way it should be

Well, if you used either of those diagrams and it's still not working, check the quick-connects to make sure they're on the right way and take the guitar to a tech to figure out what's wrong. I've used those diagrams before and I can assure you that they are correct.

It sounds like you don't have the tools or experience to diagnose what you're doing wrong, so this is one of those times to hand it over to someone who does.

wow, how do you know that? how do you know i dont have the tools or experience?

wow, how do you know that? how do you know i dont have the tools or experience?

Because you would have fixed the problem by now. I meant no offense, and I apologize if it read that way.

Less time posting on this forum, more time planning and troubleshooting will give you better results.

ok, i dont know where you get that i just sit here and post without planning or anything. i have wired over 25 guitars, none have ever had a problem. i am 100 percent positive that i wired it exactly like the diagram. i will even post a video and and show you. i replaced BRAND NEW pots with more brand new pots. it seems like the problem revolves around the jack.

ok, here is something that may help you guys help me. once again, i am positive i have it wired identical to the diagram. but if i toutch the jack on the tall things that hook on the plug when its plugged in, then it goes full ouput. without toutching it it just has a really low 99% cut off volume. what is going on? i know you arnt supposed to ground them to the bridge, so what is up?

ok, i dont know where you get that i just sit here and post without planning or anything. i have wired over 25 guitars, none have ever had a problem. i am 100 percent positive that i wired it exactly like the diagram. i will even post a video and and show you. i replaced BRAND NEW pots with more brand new pots. it seems like the problem revolves around the jack.

So why did you replace the pots if you think the problem is with the output jack? How many of those guitars were equipped with active EMG's?

none. but i have wired all the other actives on the market, and they worked fine with all wiring diagrams. i replaced the pots before i noticed toutching it made a difference. why do you keep questioning me about my ability or my knowledge? i know how to wire a guitar. and this isnt helping.

anyone know why they show their diagrams like this? a 3 way switch looks nothing like that. and i hate how the ground tho the switch just goes into the middle somewhere. it doesnt even show exaclty, and especially since you cant even tell what that switch is.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ie/untitled.jpg

none. but i have wired all the other actives on the market, and they worked fine with all wiring diagrams. i replaced the pots before i noticed toutching it made a difference. why do you keep questioning me about my ability or my knowledge? i know how to wire a guitar. and this isnt helping.

I am questioning your skills because you haven't been able to solve the problem. I am not in any way questioning your character. You seem to have diarrhea of the keyboard and keep posting useless posts instead of trying to listen to what people are telling you or troubleshoot the guitar.

anyone know why they show their diagrams like this? a 3 way switch looks nothing like that. and i hate how the ground tho the switch just goes into the middle somewhere. it doesnt even show exaclty, and especially since you cant even tell what that switch is.

Your three way switch may not look like that, but it's a Gibson right-angle style switch for a thin-body guitar like the SG. The ground goes to the body of the switch. You can use a ring terminal to ground the switch, too.

im posting "useless" posts becuse your not telling me anything i dont already know. your treating me like im stupid. i told you, i have done exactly what i need to do, and its still not working. i switched guitar cables, and then it changed again. now it is just low ouput no matter what all the time. if i toutch the input it doesnt make a difference. i could show you a video and everything, and you would still say its me and my inexperience. just becuse i can troubleshoot it, doesnt mean i dont know what im doing.

omg. this is so frustrating. i even wired up a passive pickup to a brand new pot and and even that does the same thing. i dont have a guitar to test my amp with, but i dont see how my amp could have gotten messed up in 2 weeks just sitting there. and i know its not that becuase i plugged it into another amp and it does the same thing. anyone have any idea what could be going on? i just cant figure this out for the life of me