Hi guys this isn't my first post but I just realised how rude it was of me not to introduce myself properly (my mum would be ashamed).

I started building a guitar with the aid of Mr Hiscock about six years ago whilst still at school and i swiftly realised that some wood work practice was in order so put the guitar to one side (actually under the bed).

Then I went to uni in glasgow and now that i'm away from a workshop all i want to do is restart my guitar!

To keep me sane i tinker with my shop baught guitars and one hideous broken snake shaped guitar off ebay which i will be carving over the next few weeks. (i'll put some pictures up when i find my camera)

I think that's about it.

PS is there a reason my avatar won't show up?

Edited by joshvegas

Haha not with the weather we are having! Idon't mind when it snows but i wish it would settle!

Okay I found my camera! I'll try and get this right in terms of picture rules!

This is my project i'll restart when I get my workbench shifted...

CIMG5137.jpg

it was a two piece Ash blank i made up but free hand routing is not my forte so i chopped out the middle and got another block cut then put the whole thing under my bed but you can just see the outline pencilled in on the centre block. The pick up cavity was hand cut hence slight untidyness (i was running out of ash and scared of losing my fingers to the router! the pickup will be in a tele style bridge but there will be a hole predrilled from the neck pocket to facilitate a second pickup at a later date (or possibly a sustainer that i've been reading about!)

And this is the neck blank (or will be)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/j...ct/CIMG5141.jpg

very slightly rippled sycamore and rosewoodI am gonna route out half the thickness of the truss rod into each half then glue the two together (i may be wrong but i think musicman does this sometimes?) And treat it as a maple fender neck with the two strips of rosewood running through the fret board. Headstock design I think is just going to be the smallest arrow head possible due to unbalanced design and faced front and back with ash to match the body.

The whole thing with be finshed natural probably a sort of dull sheen although i am toying with the idea of wire brushing the body to raise the grain like a piece of drift wood.

But until then I am working on this horrendous snake shaped guitar an ebay special.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/j...ct/CIMG5144.jpg

i'm carving a relief into it and generally making it look better. it purely an excercise in bad taste as i don't expect it to ever be an awesome guitar!

here's a close up of the relief so far and already i have got the line of the jaw wrong!

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/j...ct/CIMG5152.jpg

• 2 weeks later...