What Type Of Jackson Is This?

I bought this Jackson guitar from a pawn shop. I am not all that familiar with guitars and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what type of Jackson this is and how much they go for new? :D

I know it has Seymour Duncan pickups, shark inlays a maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and a Floyd Rose Bridge.

Here

Edited by JustinD

Those pics are less than great,but it looks like a dinky....Probably a "pro" series...Does it say "pro" on the headstock?You also need to research the serial # if you really want to find out the year and all.

Pro series guitars are made in Japan,are very good quality(though not quite as good as U.S.A.),usually are made from poplar with maple necks(mostly flatsawn from what I have seen,but very straight grained)and can come equipped with the duncan pups...But if it IS a pro series,it is not likely to have a real floyd...more likely a floyd "liscensed" model...

I would use the trem until it starts to go out of tune,then try to find a floyd or schaller to fit the rout and drop it in...

I had one (a soloist)...I did not like it.

Those pics are less than great,but it looks like a dinky....Probably a "pro" series...Does it say "pro" on the headstock?You also need to research the serial # if you really want to find out the year and all.

Pro series guitars are made in Japan,are very good quality(though not quite as good as U.S.A.),usually are made from poplar with maple necks(mostly flatsawn from what I have seen,but very straight grained)and can come equipped with the duncan pups...But if it IS a pro series,it is not likely to have a real floyd...more likely a floyd "liscensed" model...

I would use the trem until it starts to go out of tune,then try to find a floyd or schaller to fit the rout and drop it in...

I had one (a soloist)...I did not like it.

I did not see PRO anywhere on it and I recall seeing a serial number on it, just not sure right now I'm away from home.

I am considering selling it and buying a piece of unfinished mahogany LP style. Any idea what a used Jackson Dinky or Pro would go for? It came with hard shell case, do you think I got an ok deal for $179.00?

The pro would be on the headstock...there should also be a "japan" written on the back of the headstock.If I recall correctly,the serial # on those is at the end of the fretboard,below the 24th fret.

Yes you got a good deal,even for a japan model...those are the "mid level" jacksons ...just one step below the usa models...they really are very nice,just not my thing.

It is also a better guitar than a les paul,though some will argue...I say you should keep it...but I am sure you could get $200 for it...

Yes they are almost $700 new...at least last time I checked...but thanks to ebay,the used guitar market is saturated...the depreciation is very significant.You are better off keeping it or trading it straight up for a used lp studio...if your heart is set on an lp.

But I think you will be hard pressed to find someone willing to trade the lp...even though the jackson IS a better guitar,the Gibson name keeps the dollar value of the lp higher.

You guys rock :D !!! Thanks for the feedback. I think I will see if someone wants to trade, maybe for an Epiphone. I think this guitar is beautiful, but for some reason there is something so appealing about a Gibson/Epiphone LP... Maybe it's just a case of "grass is always greener"....

You could easily trade that straight up for an epiphone...though why you would want to is beyond me...

That's like trading treasure for trash.You lose access to at least 5 frets,a pickup position,and proper balance.Not to mention the serious loss of a straighter neck.

You could easily trade that straight up for an epiphone...though why you would want to is beyond me...

That's like trading treasure for trash.You lose access to at least 5 frets,a pickup position,and proper balance.Not to mention the serious loss of a straighter neck.

As you can tell I am new at the guitar thing and comparing apples to oranges is not my strongpoint ie. comparing Epiphone Lp's and Jackson Dinky, pickups, frets, etc... Never put the two against each other. Thanks for the clarification. :D

You guys rock :D !!! Thanks for the feedback. I think I will see if someone wants to trade, maybe for an Epiphone. I think this guitar is beautiful, but for some reason there is something so appealing about a Gibson/Epiphone LP... Maybe it's just a case of "grass is always greener"....

I wouldn't bother trading, the quality of your dk2 is much better.

I have one too:

P7270037.jpg

The pro would be on the headstock...there should also be a "japan" written on the back of the headstock.If I recall correctly,the serial # on those is at the end of the fretboard,below the 24th fret.

Yes you got a good deal,even for a japan model...those are the "mid level" jacksons ...just one step below the usa models...they really are very nice,just not my thing.

It is also a better guitar than a les paul,though some will argue...I say you should keep it...but I am sure you could get $200 for it...

Yes they are almost $700 new...at least last time I checked...but thanks to ebay,the used guitar market is saturated...the depreciation is very significant.You are better off keeping it or trading it straight up for a used lp studio...if your heart is set on an lp.

But I think you will be hard pressed to find someone willing to trade the lp...even though the jackson IS a better guitar,the Gibson name keeps the dollar value of the lp higher.

The serial number is listed on the back of the neck plat and it says # 9774373...what does that mean?

Nothing. Made In Japan Jackson serial numbers don't have any sorting whatsoever.

Jackson stopped writing 'Professional' on the headstock somewhere around 2000. This is not true for all models, but for a vast majority. They now use a Made In Japan sticker, on the back of the headstock. It can peel off pretty easily. They sometimes write it on the back of the neck heel also.

They 'write' it on the last fret only on neck-thru models, and the USA Select Series. It is also true for the original 'Pro' series, made between 1990-1995.

I would have to disagree with that. The newest Jackson Pro series are FAR FAR AWAY form being a step below the USA models. It is not even comparable. And believe me. I've owned more than 30 Charvel/Jackson since 1985. I'm still collecting them. Don't get me wrong; they are good quality guitars, but I consider them to be entry level. Even the USA models have downgraded on quality since the Fender buy-out. Very few models like the RR5, Kevin Bond Rhoads, are still great guitars. The Japanese uses freshly cut wood, Japanese made machine wound Seymour Duncan's, cheap over-the-counter electronics.. USA are entirely hand-made, with woods selected by the masterbuilders, CTS electronics and so on...

But if it IS a pro series,it is not likely to have a real floyd...more likely a floyd "liscensed" model...

True. Jackson cast their own Floyd baseplate, which they called JT580, JT590. Parts from Schaller or Original Floyd Rose usually fits like a glove.

usually are made from poplar

They stopped using poplar in the mid-90's. They now use alder on all model. Poplar is still available as an option in the Custom Shop though.

Edited by MescaBug