Two Leads On A Humbucker?

wohzah

I have ordered two humbucker pickups from TOG on ebay (tricked out guitar) so far their products have been great so I thought that their great price on the pickups was well worth the loss of a name brand. But upon receiving the pickups there is a bit of hump. There is only two leads. Almost all humbucker diagrams I have seen have 4 leads, I am curious whether I should just wire the pickups like single coils? There is a red wire I assume to be the hot, and a bare wire I assume to be the ground. Whats the deal?

you cant wire 2 lead pickups as singles. thats what the other 2 wires are for. not that big of deal. why is it bothering you?

That is a little confusing, there are two wires coming out of my humbucker, shoudn''t there be 4?

Two leads on a humbucker is fine, the only negative side is that you can't split the humbucker into single coils. When you connect the red wire to hot and the bare wire to ground the humbucker will perform perfectly. the 2 extra wire that you don't have are just if you want to split the coils so you use only half of the humbucker. Usually on standard guitars with humbuckers the 2 extra wires get soldered together. So unless you want to split the humbucker into single coils you won't need the 2 extra wires.

So I just wire it like a single coil pickup, red hot, bare ground?

you cant wire 2 lead pickups as singles. thats what the other 2 wires are for. not that big of deal. why is it bothering you?

That is a little confusing, there are two wires coming out of my humbucker, shoudn''t there be 4?

sorry, i wasnt very clear. by single, i meant coil tapped, so it performs as a single coil. the reason other pickups have 4 wires is to coil tap them. if you dont coil tap them you dont even use some of the wires.

Coil Tapping = Tapping into the coil of the winding before the run is finished to effectivly underwind the pickup.

Coil Splitting = Making your humbucker, "Split" into making a single coil effectivly.

Sorry, just always need to throw that in, It's a huge pet peeve of mine. You can coil tap a single coil if you "Tap" into the wind. Can't split it though.

Silly stupid and dumb I know. Termonolgy is so screwed it's like a guitar Tremelo. Which is actually a vibrato.