Octave Pedal Vs. Harmonizer

Mickguard

I'm looking for that next pedal to fill up my pedal board.... (so far I have my DIY Tubescreamer, and Ibanez fuzz--the one with the 'damage' control, and an echo/delay...I have a Dod Punkifier too, I don't use it because it has a different power supply).

Since a lot of what I'll be doing will laying down a repeating low-end riff/line, I'm thinking it might be cool to have an octave pedal to add a lower octave.

But it seems like most octave pedals are meant as fuzz pedals --I don't need that (well, not all the time), especially since on a few of the songs the guitar is clean (in fact, I'd want to be able to dial in a 12-string simulation on a couple). Are there any octave pedals that DON'T add fuzz?

I came across the harmonizer idea too... maybe that's more along the lines of what I need. Anyone have any experience with both? I don't want to end up sounding like Boston though.

If you can afford it I highly recommend the trusty ol' Whammy...it does the normal octave stuff and a whole lot more. There's nothing like doing some random squeely bits to get bored metalhead teenagers excited.

The Boss OC3 has 3 settings for standard OC2 type octave, octave with distortion and polyoctave mode... if you can get a Pearl one I'd really recommend it but they're getting very collectable now.

actually, I think that most octave pedals that incorporate OD have the option of turning it off.

If you can afford it I highly recommend the trusty ol' Whammy...

That is very cool...I can see using that with a stereo rig, I could keep the riff going on one side and add random noises on the other.

Too bad it doesn't have a Midi out --that would be much cooler (and smarter, it makes much more sense).

I have a BOSS OC2 for this purpose.

If you want crazy and weird, get a Digitech Synth Wah. Just bought one this weekend and its one of the most fun pedals i've ever used. Musiciansfriend has sound clips on their site.

Nice! I'm listening to some of the youtube demos...I think we may have a winner...or a couple of winners....

Yeah the synth-wah is cool too...I have one of those as well. As well as the standard Whammy, there's been a bunch of variations over the years such as the Whammy-Wah and there was another that was a kinda synth/whammy thingy. Digitech also have/had some compact multi-effects such as the RP series which have an expression pedal and some also had MIDI ports. There is also the full MIDI route which is where I spent a lot of time before going back to a combo and compacts.

Well, for the moment I don't have to worry about MIDI anymore (referring to the other thread), since the keyboard player is on board now, so he can handle that kind of activity.

I like this type of noise generator though -- right now I'm considering having a stereo rig with a very clean side (Talking Heads, funk type) that gets dirtied up/decimated on the other side. I've a got a delay to handle the stereo part. Might be interesting to run the guitar through one of the Electribes and let the keyboard player modulate that...

ok, you dont need it now but i recently got a danelectro chilli dog mini pedal.. generally cheap horrible things but i was looking at DOD octoplus and missed a few on ebay and came accross the chilli dog. most of the reviews said the danelectro was actually better sound quality than the old DOD's even though the construction is pretty bad

the Dano pedal has 3 volume controls... the original signal, 1 octave below and 2 octaves below.. mix em up as you like.. pretty much like the boss oc2 i think

its pretty useless on anything other than single note runs but the tracking is good and its actually lots of fun to confuse the little thing, worth a punt for the price.. can get a fun organ effect by taking the original signal out of the mix or it can just thicken up the sound a bit

ok, you dont need it now

No, I don't need the midi right now...the noisemaker, yes. I looked at the Danos, but I just don't trust the housing. And the prices on them seems to have gone up a lot lately.

I'm also looking at kits -- those Green Ringer clones look interesting, and there are Octafuzz kits too. I really like the Tubescreamer I built.

I have a DanElectro back talk delay. Thats quite good for making your guitar sound like a violin. Most of the DanElectro pedals i've got/seen have really thick metal casing. Its the newer FAB pedals they've released that are plastic.

Still, i can't complain, i like the behringer ones and they must have about £2 worth of plastic in their casing!

I have a DanElectro back talk delay. Thats quite good for making your guitar sound like a violin. Most of the DanElectro pedals i've got/seen have really thick metal casing. Its the newer FAB pedals they've released that are plastic.

Still, i can't complain, i like the behringer ones and they must have about £2 worth of plastic in their casing!

I'm pretty sure that's one of the mini pedals he's talking about? They're not cheap plastic?

I have a Dano tuner, very solid...except the switch...and of course, since the switch only functions when it feels like it, the pedal's pretty useless.

Does the back talk work like the Boss Slow Gear?

I dunno what the Boss Slow Gear is? But the Dano is like the Digitech DigitalDelay on reverse, except with the Dano you can JUST have the reverse signal coming through instead of the forward signal as well.

The DanElectros i have aren't mini pedals, but i think i've seen the mini ones. Didn't know they were plastic though, thought they were metal.

here are my dano's

DSC01773.jpg

the first two are the original metal 90's pedals.. even they have a plastic control plate and quite vunerable plastic knobs

the mini pedal does come with a protector that goes over the knobs for when they are used live - but it makes them quite hard to turn so mid gig tweaking would be hard

I seem to remember that the slow gear was more or less just an auto-swell pedal? Reverse delays are quite fun for faster playing even if it's just bluesy bends, they do just what they say on the tin...reverse the delay! It's normally quite a short delay which is why slow playing or long notes don't really work.

I've wanted a fuzz factory for ages, I could see myself having hours of fun with that but I can't justify paying that much for one yet. Actually I'd quite like a lot of the ZVex pedals. :D

I was trying to explain to a drummer why it's so much fun playing guitar instead.... :D

I've always been curious about the Sitar Swami...read a lot of harsh reviews about it. Still, the concept's pretty cool.

Yeah, i was VERY disappointed with it. Nothing like i was expecting, but never mind!

I'm a bit of a guitar pedal freak at the moment! I just love collecting weird and wonderful pedals! If i find anything else that has weird sounds i'll post it in here!

Also, do you use a power supply for your pedals or run them on batteries, i ask cos the Digitech Synth Wah eats batteries for breakfast and brunch!

I'm a bit of a guitar pedal freak at the moment! I just love collecting weird and wonderful pedals! If i find anything else that has weird sounds i'll post it in here!

Also, do you use a power supply for your pedals or run them on batteries, i ask cos the Digitech Synth Wah eats batteries for breakfast and brunch!

I have a one-spot with a daisy chain, so no worries there, I don't even bother with batteries. I should get a backup though. I'm trying to keep my board limited to just five pedals (there's a tuner on there too), plus the pedal for my amp. It isn't easy though...so many fun toys out there.

+1 for the chilli dog. Th plastic cage thing is a pain i put some rubber tubing ,from home brewing, over the knobs to make them a bit longer so they poke out of the cage top an thats flexible enough to not break the knobs when stamped pretty hard.

Well, I just won an auction for the Synth Wah, should have that in a couple of weeks (it's being brought from the States).

Meanwhile, the keyboard guy is too flaky, so it's down to just me and the drummer again. We work really well together, so it's actually kind of nicer that way.

But I'm definitely going to want to go stereo now -- I'll use my Vox for the 'cleaner' side and my Laney for the 'noise' side...right now I have an echo pedal with a dry and echo outs, although the echo out only works when the pedal is actually engaged.

So maybe I should look into getting/building a box that will let me go from 1 to 2 instead?

Also, I already have a volume pedal --I'm thinking I'll be able to put that in front of the Synth Wah, which will make the effect playable --since the Synth Wah is supposed to react to how hard/soft you play, right?

The idea is that I'll be able to continue playing each song's riff and use the second side to add noises and other goodies (have a listen to some of the songs--link's in my signature to see what I'm talking about). Some songs will use the sampler or just tape playback too, but I'll leave that part up to the drummer.