Beat Up Violin

Ok. Well, lately I've always wanted to learn to play violin, so i've been (lazily) on the lookout for a nice but cheap one to learn on. Well, my mom found this one at a Savers for only $1.99! Here's some pics.

ddddnq9.jpg

ssssnj5.jpg

Its not that beat up. The ONLY structural damage is a crack on the top running from the left F-hole to the rear. (you can sorta make it out as the white line from the top circle of the left F-hole, to the chin rest. Otherwise it's fine. There's alot of areas where the finish is a little worn and scuffed. It's missing one tuner peg. Back is nicely flamed. I'm not that good with identifying woods, so I'll leave that to you guys.

The question is, does this look like it'd be worth fixing up? It's pretty small (and i dont know anything about violin sizes), but even if it is not my size at all then I'd still do it. For the money from selling it, and the experience fixing it up. So give me your opinions on what it's worth ; )

Oh, and another thing. How would I go about fixing that crack? I can't think of a way.

Yeah, that's what I thought too ; )

Couple points of wisdom imparted from my dad:

- He says refinishing it would be a bad idea, that the old finish gives the instrument a unique sound that would be taken away from it, and pointed out that it would be very difficult to get it to look nice and vintage again, that I wouldn't be too happy with the whole "new" look of it. I think he may be right on that...

- He thinks the violin is well worth the trouble refurbishing.

Oh, and also, the neck's finish is completely rubbed off. Just as another detail.

Oh, and also, the neck's finish is completely rubbed off. Just as another detail.

Seems that any violin owned by a decent player is like that, so I wouldn't bother putting finish back on it. I'm not at all a voilin player, but I would think you'd want a very dry wood feeling neck. Being fret-lesss and such a short scale-length, the last thing you want is a sticky finish keeping your hand from moving every subtle bit.

Wait, I have an old violin in the closet. Yep, finish worn off the neck from nut to the heel.

What is a "Savers" ? A store that sells old used stuff or something ?

I have a couple of violins 100+ years at home the neck is supposed to be finishless definately don't refinish it or the body.

the wood is maple or sycamore (probably maple I think sycamore is found on more expensive instruments)

fixing the crack is described in dan erlewins book i think it involves good quality masking tape stretched across the crack after some runny clue is rubbed into the crack but i'm not near the book.

don't forget to buy a bridge for it or you might be dissapointed with the finished product!

Edited by joshvegas

There is in fact a finish on the neck. It's linseed oil, rubbed in to protect the wood, but still give a nice feel. The Stew Mac catalog has a clamp available that is designed specifically to close top and back cracks on violins, it's curved to clear the arch on the instrument. I've built a few violins, and can tell you for sure that you're looking at a spruce top and maple back and sides. Nice looking piece, go for it, and good luck!

What is a "Savers" ? A store that sells old used stuff or something ?

Yeah, it's like goodwill. Thrift store. My mom makes tons of money buying stuff from there and reselling it on eBay, on average, she buys things for a couple dollars and sells em for something like $50-100. It's crazy.

OKay, so no refinishing. I'll do some more research on fixing the crack. Thanks for the tip, though.

Oh yeah, and another thing. There's this string that I think is tied around the post inside the violin and I have no idea what it's doing in there. Any ideas?

There's no reason there should be a string tied around the sound post. None that I've ever encountered anyhow. It's placed there with a tool and removed in the same manner, and unless the string is attached to some other part besides just the sound post then it's just a mystery string put there to confuse people. Bastard string.

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if i can find any luthiers.

In the meanwhile - a theory in the string. I can see that it was purposely put there, in the post, there's a little hole where it goes through and ties to the post. After researching how the poles are put in, I guess it might be a way to remove the post afterwards, for replacement? Or perhaps it was used in place of your standard post tool. The string is tied in a way that it has two ends, which can be put through both F-holes. They may have pulled these strings to position the sound post. In any case, i'll just leave it in there. It doesn't have any effect on how the intrusment performs or looks, i should think.

Oh, and in my research I noticed that the sound post must be perfectly vertical in order to maximize performance. I checked, and mine is DEFINITELY not vertical. I'd say it's about 20 degrees tilted, the bottom of the post actually rests on the bass side of the guitar. Erk.

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if i can find any luthiers.

In the meanwhile - a theory in the string. I can see that it was purposely put there, in the post, there's a little hole where it goes through and ties to the post. After researching how the poles are put in, I guess it might be a way to remove the post afterwards, for replacement? Or perhaps it was used in place of your standard post tool. The string is tied in a way that it has two ends, which can be put through both F-holes. They may have pulled these strings to position the sound post. In any case, i'll just leave it in there. It doesn't have any effect on how the intrusment performs or looks, i should think.

Oh, and in my research I noticed that the sound post must be perfectly vertical in order to maximize performance. I checked, and mine is DEFINITELY not vertical. I'd say it's about 20 degrees tilted, the bottom of the post actually rests on the bass side of the guitar. Erk.

:D

The bastard string will do no harm. Your theories are most likely correct.

Edited by Bassisgreat

This is going to be such an interesting project to watch unfold. I've been dreaming for a while about making a guitar with the same woods/construction/dimensions as a violin (scaled up, obviously), to see how it sounds. I'm hoping to get a lot of info from your experiments, even if my own doesn't unfold.

I've been dreaming for a while about making a guitar with the same woods/construction/dimensions as a violin

This sounds interesting. You might wanna go and find someone who's starting from scratch, though XD

This is really all I'll be doing:

- Fixing the top crack

- Cleaning the parts

- Carving a new tuning peg

- Replacing the sound post

- Installing a bridge

I don't think that list will give you all that much info on the construction of a violin.

Is the guitar going to be acoustic, acoustic-electric, or semihollow? It seems like you'd also have to readjust the demensions a little, at least. It might look better to give the guitar a little extra width, for one. And you'll have to base it more off a guitar than a violin if your doing a semihollow. I suppose you could have the same kind of sound post idea if you do an acoustic?

I look forward to this proposed project of yours ; ) Do it!

Oh, it's on the extreme back burner for the moment, but I'm glad I have someone's interest! I'm planning a semi-hollow for my next project, Myka-style. I've never worked with a violin, so the only information I have is from reading up. It'll be cool to watch a repair-in-progress.

You're pretty spot on with your guesses. It'll be a semi-hollow, with a glued-on bridge, ebony tailpiece and fretboard, maple and spruce construction. I found a helpful website with the dimensions for a typical cello, and I'm planning to scale them down to guitar-size, and adjust accordingly. At the rate I go, I build one guitar a year, so we're looking at a finished product in 2010, if I continue interrupted.

You raise an interesting point though. Why don't more manufacturers put sound posts in their acoustics?

Never get tired of looking through it, shame Matt doesn't seem to be here much anymore that i have seen.

I hear you,man when I was going thur your build....I was thinking man this guy has a lot of patience,then I came to the brush throw.....I felt your pain,and you were holding up so good ,too.Glad you made it thru tho.