Plans Or Templates?

So, I'm reading Melvyn Hiscock's book and I gotta say that I love it so far. I'm getting an idea of what guitar I'm gonna want to make (Fender Tele), and I'm unsure of whether it's worth it to buy the templates or the plans. If I bought the plans I would know the measurements of where to place the controls and pick-ups and can buy separate templates for each thing, and it would be cheaper. But if I bought the templates, it would be a lot easier than doing the previously mentioned but much more costly.

Which path should I take?

I can see advantages in buying or making templates. I have always made my own templates, but I would not hesitate to buy templates if I wanted exactly what was offered. I have bought cut radius templates to assist me in making accurate jigs, and it was a great time saver and worked out perfectly.

If you did buy templates, it is important that you not lose touch with your plans(I can't see building without plans period). If you buy templates you will also want to use them as masters to create duplicates, so there is also a bit of work associated with templates.

I guess it comes down to what you want, and your budget.

Rich

I really want a tele template too! I'd be willing to split the cost of the Ron Kirn template with you if you decide to go that route (I'm serious, PM me). Too bad it doesn't come with a neck template...I actually have a tele neck template, but the headstock profile is SO NOT accurate.

This guy gives you a neck template:

http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/teletemplates.htm

I'm sick of making my own templates. :D~

Edited by freekhed

I'm all for making my own templates but why do that when you can get a precision cut template for a good cost. When I decide to build a standard shape I just shell out the cash for this guy's stuff. I have his bass templates, tele and ES335 templates. All come with the correct positioning for the controls and really make life easier for me. The neck templates are great because they fit a standard fender neck so if you want to buy a carvin neck you can use this template with no issues.

Edit: just realized the link is a double post. Sorry but I've used these and they are top quality templates.

Edited by zyonsdream

I'm all for making my own templates but why do that when you can get a precision cut template for a good cost. When I decide to build a standard shape I just shell out the cash for this guy's stuff. I have his bass templates, tele and ES335 templates. All come with the correct positioning for the controls and really make life easier for me. The neck templates are great because they fit a standard fender neck so if you want to buy a carvin neck you can use this template with no issues.

Edit: just realized the link is a double post. Sorry but I've used these and they are top quality templates.

I've been asking this question all over these forums. How accurate is that guy? I've heard some nasty things about him, especially with the tele templates. I'm looking at getting an RG template over the summer, but I've heard enough negative press about him that I'm reconsidering my decision. I might grab an RG body off ebay and make a template off that, then I'll have a template and a beater body to mess with as well.

I've been asking this question all over these forums. How accurate is that guy? I've heard some nasty things about him, especially with the tele templates. I'm looking at getting an RG template over the summer, but I've heard enough negative press about him that I'm reconsidering my decision. I might grab an RG body off ebay and make a template off that, then I'll have a template and a beater body to mess with as well.

hes not perfect; i tried the sg plans and i also got a jem one; he forgot to send me some special add ons i asked for, but when i emailed him about it,he sent it out at his expense; the neck pockets and fb were not a tight fit/match; but i use all my own templates for the important stuff like that ,so it didnt bother me; but to expensive for my liking (you wont find cheaper) but +1 for plans and making your own, its a smarter solution for if you wanted the legit sizes and what not

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna make my own templates from plans. That way I'll be sure they're the right measurements and everything. I can use my school's CNC machine for free. :D

EDIT: By the way, are the pre-made necks from StewMac any good? If not, then what one would I get?

Edited by Appleseed

I've always been a supporter of Carvin parts. They're top notch!

I don't have any direct knowledge of this, but I'm convinced that StewMac's neck-through neck is a Carvin neck.

I don't think the bolt-ons are, though.

I ordered a tele-style bolt-on neck from Stew-Mac back about 3 years ago and at that time it was made by Mighty Mite. Not a bad neck for the price. I have been pleased with it.

I've built several Telecaster shaped guitars off of his templates and the bass and ES335 all seem to be spot on to me. I've never completed comparison measurements but the necks fit tight in the pockets and everything comes out to scale. It does take him a while to ship though.

I've always been a supporter of Carvin parts. They're top notch!

I don't have any direct knowledge of this, but I'm convinced that StewMac's neck-through neck is a Carvin neck.

I don't think the bolt-ons are, though.

I'm almost positive it is. What other manufacturer of neck blanks uses a 25" scale? Same truss rod cover, tenon dimensions, everything. But the thing I love about ordering from Carvin is that you get a lot of custom options too.

@appleseed: Yes, building a neck is much cheaper, but you have to invest in parts and tools as well. My home-built neck saved me about $100, and that's not including the fact that I got two neck blanks out of the wood, too, so it would be more like $150. But you need a fret press/hammer, files, levelers, the whole 9 yards. If you're building a one-off guitar, then it would be more worth your time to get one pre-made. Check out SoulMate guitars as well. I feel like you're missing some parts there, as well. $450 not including finishing supplies is pretty cheap; my first build totaled a good $175 higher than that.

@low end fuzz: You said you got the JEM template? How accurate was it to the real thing, do you know? If I can get a vote of confidence on the body style I'm looking to get (JEM, RG), I might just save up some extra cash and buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

if anyone's interested, I'm doing a Strat Build on the Tele Forum (they have a strat section) it's like a tutorial on how to use the templates.... come join the fun

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-di...-here-ya-2.html

Ron Kirn

ps. .

Dang... that's my first post?? I thought I'd done more... I'll try to do better..

Ron Kirn

Edited by Ronkirn

I've had several customers send templates to me for one reason or another over the years. By far the nicest of the lot are from the aforementioned Guitar Building Templates site. Nice clean edges and accurate cuts is what I noticed right off. If you want to make a copy guitar, then you'll be in good shape with one of those.

IF you choose to build your own neck... well, do it right. Buy the right tools, and work with caution. The neck is crucial to playability so it should be as perfect as possible.

-Doug