Avia Hh-1000 #001 Build

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say if there's one guitar to keep, it would be your first, I know I won't sell mine when I finish it, not that I would feel good selling it cause it's not quite up to snuff lol

+1

Either that, or sell it to someone you really like for cheap. Like me :D

I wouldn't steal your baby away from you, even if I DID have money!

Anxiously awaiting pics. I apologize if you mentioned this before already, but what fret does the neck meet the body at on the treble side? It looks like it'll be a lot of fun to play.

ummm, i'm slightly intoxicated but im'a post some pics. errrrrrrrrrrrr I think it's about the 22 or 23rd fret it meets the body I'll have to go downstairs to double check, if I'm wrong I'll come correct myself.

Neck Heel carved! I did this with just a belt sander and a scraper! Who needs files, seriously :D needs sanded but

0503081542.jpg

0503081403.jpg

Beginning of truss rod cover; Keep in mind I've never really inlayed anything before and it was all done with an exacto knife/6 hours of time ha.. lots of time to kill at work so I work on guitars =]

0503081715.jpg

0503082110.jpg

I gotta sand some of the bottoms and tops to make it more symmetrical but other than that its coming along perty good =]

0504080938.jpg

Night!

Edited by piedpiperX2000

Truss cover

0504082027.jpg

I have the back carved I was wondering how I would carve the indent around the perimeter of the contour. If it's just using my scraper I probably wont do it hah because scrapers hurt my hand after 5 hours =] I didn't know if there was some sort of tool or jig or something that would aid in a uniform negative perimeter contour.

It still needs some small bumps scraped out and sanded but I have the general contours scraped. I used an angle grinder for the basic angles and scraped everything else clean and smooth

0506082222b.jpg

0506082222a.jpg

0506082040.jpg

night! - Josh

Top carve done; Once I finish the under-carve on the top and bottom all I need to do is just decide on knob and battery placement and I can start the assembly process, finally! woots =]

Top cut out routed and ready for carving

0509081438b.jpg

Back Carved

0507082109.jpg

Pickup Rings Made

0508081941a.jpg

Turned out blurry but it gives you an idea of how thick it will be, roughly as thick as the new PRS hollowbody

0509082227a.jpg

I can't wait to start finishing, WORD!!!!

Thanks Kenny, you too! I took the smallest drill bit I could find a did a series of small holes following the rough sketch of the cavity that was drawn on the back; assembled the scroll saw blade back inside the hole and kinda free handed the cut. What sucks is theres no room for error at all, one flinch or movement and the cut looks like crapp and the evenness and uniformness of the cover is gone.

I carved the top something like this,

-drew perimeter lines

-made drill holes around for depth markers

-free hand routed a 1/4 edge around the guitar

-angle grinder with flap sander for general carve

-scraper to smooth out carves and bumps

-sanded

Happy Mothers Day hehe

This is looking great so far, I can't wait to see it finished! :D It looks like you have both the inside and outside of the maple top carved since it looks thin around the f-holes. Do you happen to have any pictures on how you did that process? Carving the inside of a top without poking through looks difficult.

Thanks =]

Got some more done at work today

0511081710.jpg

0511081753.jpg

0511081901.jpg

Top isn't glued on in this pic just tossed it on to confirm alignment

0511081905.jpg

0511082053.jpg

0511082054.jpg

0511082118a-1.jpg

Again, top isn't on yet I need to decide on knob placement and battery compartment placement, which I wanted to hide inside but it's looking like it's going to have to be on the outside somewhere beh.. oh well.

Anyways tis all for now, night! - Josh

*NOTE: There's a bunch of new pics at the end of the last page, page 5 *

Angle grinder to grind the inside of the top hehe, it's mostly for asthetics to be honest I dont want this to be TOO acoustic then theres feedback problems that come into play that I'm trying to avoid to some extent. I dont have any pictures unfortunately, it's actually a pretty rough cut I have to go back over it to get it exact.

I made it overall nice and thick =] Slightly thinner than the new PRS hollow

All the new pics are still ROUGH obviously nothing is sanded flush or ready for finishing yet

night

Edited by piedpiperX2000

100% pure sexy.

Though it looks thicker than the PRS :D Might be just my eyes, though, who knows.

I'd check out Myka's page if I were you. He does a lot of LP builds, and a lot of them have a ton of knobs/switches. He might give you some ideas, you never know.