Avia Hh-1000 #001 Build

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still concerned about adjusting the neck if need be (though looks like you should be able to reach it through the electronics cavity) as well as routing the neck pickup cavity through the neck bolt...

But I am consistently impressed with how professional this build looks! Nice work, keep it going.

::EDIT::

I just remembered how thick the guitar is, so I'm not nearly as concerned about routing through the bolt.

Will the routing for the pickup tabs break into the main cavity, or will they stay within the center block? The tolerances look pretty tight. I've always wondered about this part of a semi-hollow construction, whether or not the pickups hanging in the cavity or surrounded by the wood of the center block would make a difference on the feedback problem.

Xanthus, sorry I just read your thread I somehow totally missed it the first time I read through! In that last picture you can vaguely see the picup cavity routes. It goes RIGHT to the edge but it stays within the neck pocket mahogony.

About adjusting the neck, after I tested the bolt method the result was a perfectly fitting VERY tight and solid joint! So I decided to use NO glue at all and I'm happy with this choice, minus the neck laminates, which are running parallel throughout the neck minimizing any potential tone dampening, its all wood to wood contacts throughout the neck through the body!

I'm currently working on the tailpiece which will, again, be directly bolted, and mounted with wood connecting to the inner neck pocket that's running through the body of the guitar! The end result will hopefully be a very natural, open, fluidly vibrant tone!

Yup, tonight so far I've finished the pickup rings and holes, drilled everything I need to drill, drilled and fitted tuners, routed battery box on the back. I'm currently masking off the binding and putting lacquer where the natural binding will be getting it ready for dying tomorrow morning! Yup it's going to be tiger eye all around, a I'm gnd I don't THINKoing to do any inlays, it looks so clean with nothing, if you can think of anything fairly simple I'm up for options, I'd like to avoid just putting "AVIA" on the 12th just for avoiding exact reiteration of the logo.

Thanks dude!

EDIT: I"m slightly drunk so mesh together any slurred or mistyped words kkthx.

Edited by piedpiperX2000

hey if you can think of something that would look clean and fitting I would LOVe it! I just can't think of anything; I can do alot even tho the frets are installed, ebony is SO forgiving its easy to correct any mistakes. peace dude! - Josh Sorry for getting you caught haha =] I know how it is =] =] =]

0518082039a.jpg

woots, dying tomorrow =]

Edited by piedpiperX2000

At first I was against the deep red dye thought, but in the process of dying tigereye, I've stopped at the red stage because it looked way too good hah, Let me know what you guys think of keeping it red with a SLIGHT thin black burst around the edges and binding

pulling tape off before dying

0519080941a.jpg

Dyed black, and sanded down after

0519081212.jpg

0519081158a.jpg

After red dye, 80% red 20% orange

0519081228.jpg

0519081238.jpg

0519081220.jpg

at work, i ride around on a golfcart, and of course i bring my guitar with me everywhere I go

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/pie...=0518081205.flv

what do ya think? Red or TigerEye

LEAVE IT!!!

DON'T CHANGE A THING!!!

Leave the back side and neck all grey like that! Leave the top red like that! It looks like the most ancient, archaic treasure chest discovery like that! I even like how your binding got "dirty" by the staining process!

Man.... SLICK. Do the front ONLY of the headstock red to match the top, and leave it all alone. The red on the front with that dusty, burned look is just too awesome, and then you can suprise people when they see that grey dusty back and sides. It's gonna stand out of the crowd like CRAZY.

GUITAR OF THE MONTH NOMINATION!!!

EDIT: Crap... just realized you went red on the neck and back already. BOO!! Heh heh....

Edited by Bryan316

My god, it's unspeakably beautiful..red! red!

However, all of your options would be truly amazing regardless. But since you're already red...let's keep it like that. It looks amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product, it's not very often that looking at a guitar before countless clearcoats and compound buffs makes my jaw drop. Keep it up, man!

If yer gonna keep it red, I suggest one more step. Sand back just a bit and add a lighter yellow/orange dye to top it all off. That should make the quilt really pop and add about another 6" of depth to it. The reason I suggest this is that right now it's pretty dark. I feel it'd be nicer if it were a little brighter. If you like it dark, then by all means leave it be! It does look great now. For my tastes, though, it could be better.

Edited by avengers63

=] =] =] <3 thanks Mex and Ryan and everyone else!

I decided to do red, I resanded and dyed the entire thing to get the dye more even, there were some blotchy spots that needed to be fixed, I sprayed a light burst around everything I wanted to and finally pulled off the binding tape to reveal a slightly messy line! It's going to take alot of timely work to clean it up to standards unless someone else has an easier way that they know of to clean up the binding lines

0519081948.jpg

Happy Building - Josh

Hot damn! You, sir, get the metal :D

I've seen/read that some people use a box cutter blade or exacto blade, and tape the blade up with... well, tape, and leave only the thickness of the binding exposed. They then scrape the edge very carefully until satisfied.

I've also resolved not to do binding on a build *shrug* circumventing a whole boatload of problems, not to mention the extra equipment I'd have to buy.

I know I'm repeating myself over and over, but fantastic work Josh, I hope you're proud!

I vote for keeping the color you have, it looks wicked. After seeing the initial coloring I was going to post mentioning the slight splotchiness of the sanded black dye, wasn't bad but I figured it would have bothered you after the finish. It looks great now, all of it. I did have one question though, I went back and glanced to see if you explained it, but didn't see an answer. So, how is the cavity cover going to be attached, as it looks there is no ledge for it to sit on? I just wasn't sure what your plans for this were and was curious. Oh yeah, also, I fell over laughing at that video, don't know why, but it killed me! Best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

Oh man... OOOOH MAN.... that gentle burst is just KILLING me over here!

Now with the bright clean binding, this thing is just too perfect. Wow.

PLEASE don't gloss finish this thing! In fact, don't even satin it. Leave it flat. Maybe a flat clearcoat, but PLEASE don't gloss this guitar! It's so rustic and ancient and looks like granpa's favorite old antique china cabinet! GAWD this looks awesome! I now hate you, because I totally wanna reconsider my current plans for my project's finish.... but I don't wanna steal it from you!!!

Let's give the man a hand!

applause.gif

I thought about the screwing in from the top, but the cover was cut straight from the body so he could have the grain match. So, I don't really think that is an option, the other little cavity has holes for screws in the top, which I would imagine is like you were saying, screwed into the top. As for the other, I think the only way would be some kind of bracket setup, which if it is would not be as easy being that its all glued up, I would imagine. I dunno, I just couldn't figure it out and was curious, I'm always keen on seeing methods I haven't seen before and figured I'd ask. I'm going with your second guess for my uneducated guess. J

Yup, I think I'm either going to cut an insert to the exact perimeter of the cavity and glue it flush to the bottom of the back for the cover to rest on or just glue inserts in 3 or 4 places with screw holes, either way it will work and look nice! Promise

I'm taking it to work tonight so hopefully I'll scrape all the binding perfectly clean, or close to it. I have a tailpiece for it but I think it might be JUST a hair too small for this build what do you think?

0520081201.jpg

dark pic but you get the idea

PS: I'm definitely clear coating it with high gloss =] I'm sorry. It IS going to be my guitar hehe

Edited by piedpiperX2000