Open Or Closed Back?

Denis

Finally, I have gone valve (tube).

Sold my Marshall 100 watt solid state half stack - bought as my contribution to the mid life crisis stakes - loud but a very restricted sound palette with no real richness to the sound.

Found a guy near me in the UK who takes clones of the Epiphone 5 watt and makes them work really well. He made me one with Marshall voicing which is very nice, although the 8 inch speaker makes the sound a bit cramped.

I acquired a couple of 1974 Celestion G12H 30 watts in great condition and I have built a 2 x 12 pine cab for them. The difference is outstanding. The sound is so full and deep, it's the best noise I have ever made.

Currently the cab has no back at all. I am playing in a small room - don't have any plans to gig with it. Where do go from here? Stick with it backless or put a full back on it? What's the difference in sound likely to be?

I am playing blues - SRV, Hendrix style (he said with delusions of grandure :D )

Any opinions greatly received. Thanks

Denis

Open back...for blues that's what you want...if it were metal I would say the opposite

Thanks BUT can I ask the obvious question? Why?

Denis

I reccomend taking your amp head to a store that has lots of cabinets, and playing through a bunch to find 'your' tone. It's what I'm planning to do when I get my little amp built, anyway, although I have a sneaking suspicion I'll end up with a Celestion Blue or similar, possibly paired with a G12H, in a 2x12", based on the voxy things I've played recently.

i'd say for metal and hard rock type stuff vintage 30's and a closed back cab is the way to go. Personally I like open back with celestion g12 or greenbacks for rock and blues and I find that you can get good metal tones out of this combination. For versatility I'd go with open but thats just me but if you like to get those powerful metal tones then closed is the way to go.