Making Tru-oil A Little Better?

Hello all,

I would like to use Tru-oil as a finish on my guitar. The only negitive I see around is that it is not as hard or scratch resistant as other finishes. I was wondering if you could mix in some.....say Minwax polyurthane in it to give it a harder and more scratch resistant quallity?

Thoughts?

Apply the oil then wax it, offers decent protection same color. I use butchers clear bowling alley wax. My favorite stain/finish, oil then wax. And if u scratch the wax it is wicked easy to touch up. Apply with steel wool contradictory to instructions.

Tru-Oil doesn't need anything added to it to be hard and durable. Granted, it's not as hard as the polyester armor they put on a lot of mass-produced guitars, but who wants that anyway? Tru-Oil was designed for and has been used to protect gunstocks for years and years.

I've started finishing my guitars' necks with Tru-Oil. It couldn't be easier to apply, it cures much faster than lacquer, and I don't have to worry about guitar stands eating the finish. It feels great, too.

Tru-Oil doesn't need anything added to it to be hard and durable. Granted, it's not as hard as the polyester armor they put on a lot of mass-produced guitars, but who wants that anyway? Tru-Oil was designed for and has been used to protect gunstocks for years and years.

I've started finishing my guitars' necks with Tru-Oil. It couldn't be easier to apply, it cures much faster than lacquer, and I don't have to worry about guitar stands eating the finish. It feels great, too.

Applied by the right people Catalized Urathanes and Polyester seem to be a wonderful finishes. Outstanding clarity, thin, durable. I have been looking over some of the Cat. Poly finishes that have been popping up at the OLF(not that they havent been around here for a while also). The thickness has been measuring out right about where Nitro winds up. The clarity is really impressive. The cure is fast UV or Catalized. I am itching to pull the trigger and have one shot for me.

Peace,Rich

Applied by the right people Catalized Urathanes and Polyester seem to be a wonderful finishes. Outstanding clarity, thin, durable. I have been looking over some of the Cat. Poly finishes that have been popping up at the OLF(not that they havent been around here for a while also). The thickness has been measuring out right about where Nitro winds up. The clarity is really impressive. The cure is fast UV or Catalized. I am itching to pull the trigger and have one shot for me.

Peace,Rich

"Applied by the right people." There's always a catch. :D

I don't know about adding ingredients to the mix anyway. Especially messing with highly toxic materials.

I've used a tung/linseed oil marine varnish (called Le Tonkinois) and it cures very hard -- perhaps not as hard as those bullet-proof finishes you find nowadays, but where's the fun in that?

The marine varnish takes a longer time to cure though, or, I should say 'settle in', because that's really what seems to happen. Several months after polishing, it becomes quite hard, fairly level and almost as brilliant as a nitro finish. Has a more vintage-like sheen to it.

Best part is that it's 100% natural and non-toxic (i.e., it is NOT the same as Tru-Oil). It's harder to sand and polish--but I haven't tried spraying it yet. That's coming up.